can someone help please.....

Traidmarx

ok i've had my sc now for 4 days its messed up 3 times....the symptoms are weird... ok when i'm driving or the car is under a load or if i'm just running the car hard it runs fine no hesitation no nothing but as soon as i come to a stop at a stoplight or something it idles at like 300-400 rpm and sputters and will eventually just die out...i took the IAC off the other day cleaned it with carb cleaner and it ran fine me and a friend of mine went playin around on the way home from his shop well i started doin a doughnut in this old parking lot and hit a pot hole which did bust my pressure hose from the power steering pump.... so i know what the problem with that is but as soon as i came to a stop again it started to sputter and cut off again

and as far as the check engine light coming on when i do come to a stop if the car doesn't die the check engine light comes on when i'm at an idle...but as soon as i pull off the check engine light goes off... i took it to autozone to have it checked and they said they can't check anything older than a 96

Traidmarx said:
come on i really need some help with this

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Spray all the IC tube connections with the motor running and look at the hoses attached to the rear of the supercharger and manifold plenums to make sure all are still attached.

David

Possible IAC valve

You say it only runs bad at an idle. If David's vacuum leak doesn't pan out you can try to clean the idle Air Control/Bypass Valve located on the throttle bodt. This little sucker only works when idleing, and I have seen Sc's idle at 2000 rpms and also very low rpm just like yours. if it seems to better after you clean it with some brake cleaner go ahead and get a new one, as cleaning it is only a temporary fix and it willstart to fail again very shortly.

my car was doing the same thing awhile back. Dalke used some rtv sealant to clean up the vac leaks and it stopped instantly. Another thing coul possibly be a fuel pump going bad??? :confused:

i was thinkin the same thing about vaccum leaks but at the same time if it were vaccum leaks causing this problem wouldn't it get worse under a load wouldn't it... thats whats weird to me if i drive it just cruising around or if im runnin the car hard it shows no signs of a problem

Thats why I suggested the IAC Valve, it controls air threw the throttle body while your at an idle. Anything after partial throttle plate opening the IAC is basically out of the equation. Have seen it too many time on both my SC and my wifes Ford Explorer. It would die and have a very rough idle until you pressed the gas and it would run great until it came back down to an idle then try and die again. Clean the IAC Valvle and it idles great. Carbon gets built up on the valve over time and sometimes doesnt seat properly or open properly for the proper of air flow to the engine while at an idle.

There ya go. Replace it. It's cheap enough. The reason why you wouldn't feel a vacuum leak when you get on it is because you have nothing to compare it to. You've only owned the car for a few days you said. How would you know if it ran at 10 psi of boost when it would normally run at 12??

Change the part, and check for the leak anyway!

Ira

well no but i have owned two TC's and 87 and 88 and both of which ended up with vaccum leaks so i know how they ran with vaccum leaks

I would get the computer scanned first to see what codes are in the computer and then go from there.
A cheap ~~~ code scanner for like 50$ should work fine. :eek:

Traidmarx said:
i was thinkin the same thing about vaccum leaks but at the same time if it were vaccum leaks causing this problem wouldn't it get worse under a load wouldn't it... thats whats weird to me if i drive it just cruising around or if im runnin the car hard it shows no signs of a problem

No...under a load the problems caused by the leak are usually covered up because of the boost. My car sprung a bad leak at the track once...it was running so bad it was all I could do to keep it running with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake.

I ran it down the track two more times and it ran great (until I let off the throttle).

If you think it may be the IAC unplug it with the motor running..if it dies then it was probably okay. Also unplug the MAF with motor running...if it idles smoother them the elements are usually dirty and need a spray of brake cleaner.

I still think it's a vacuum leak...it doesn't even have to be a big enough leak to showup on the gauge. to cause major problems at idle.

David

I'm with Dave, as I just went thru the same problem with my '93 - turned out that the Loctite 518 sealant on the supercharger top had dried out, causing a small vacuum leak. Car revved great but would idle rough at about 10" vacuum. First I re-sealed the IC tubes (most common culprit) and then I re-sealed the top. However, if you cleaned your IAB/C with carb cleaner and not electrical cleaner you probably dissolved the rubber bellows inside - they are pretty flimsy. So I'd replace that as well to make sure.

Back