Check Engine Light

moore89

Check Engine Light, Fuel problem?

Ok, I have had a check engine light for a little while in my 35th SC. So I hooked up the Genesis scan tool at school, and It came up with two codes. Both of them were O2 sensor codes (91,41 I believe) I went ahead and replaced them with new ones. I had to re-do my headgaskets a couple months ago and I figured that the antifreze in the exhaust had fouled them up. Anyway I still have a check engine light and I have already cleared the codes once. I looked into it further and came to realise that the codes actually indicate a lean condition on both banks. Are there any certain components that I should check or fix to correct this problem? I didn't have a check engine light until the HG's went and when I reinstalled everything I did crack a couple of those little caps on the fuel injectors (I am going right now to get some new caps to replace them). Any suggestions or imput will be greatly apreciated.

Last edited:
I just pulled one out and the cap was missing. Don't know how I didn't see that when I put them back in. Will that cause a lean condition or are those caps just for a better seal?

Thanks, I'll do that. I did forget to mention that the car does occasionally have a rough low idle for a few minutes on initial startup (hav to rev it a couple times to keep it running) and occasionally I under acceleration I feel what I can only describe as a hickup in the engine.

No other imput? I havn't fixed the injectors yet but I did re scan the computer no new codes have shown up. Also I was informed that a dirty or bad maf can cause the engine to run lean too. Someone tried to tell me that the EEC is bad (I hope that's not it).

I had a lean mixture reading on my right side bank after rebuilding my 90 cougar. I ended up finding that the intake manifold bolts had wiggled loose. I replaced the gaskets and tightened the bolts down to specs and the code never came back. If you didn’t have the code before you replaced the head gaskets I would imagine something along these lines. Although the MAF could be the culprit, if so some carb spray or electrical cleaner with a q-tip will clean it up a bit. Sounds like some kind of vacuum leak is probably your reason for trouble.

Thanks, I'll check the bolts. This will be the forth time I've taken the top end apart (S/C, I/C, piping, etc.). I forgot that to take the fuel rail and injectors out everything has to come off.

Back