Small Hose

SCedTBird

Quick question.... on my 93SC on the rubber intake hose.... you know between the TB and MAF theres like a small lil rubber tubing in the middle of the hose thats not plugged into anything its just there.... should it be hanging not connected to anything like that???

There should be a 90 degree metal nipple coming out of the intake tube that attaches to a plastic line that goes across the engine and under the nose of the supercharger over to the driver's side valve cover in the front. This is the fresh air intake for the PCV system.

Picture of what should be there (off the car)

Here is a picture of it with everything off the car, happen to have mine awaiting gasket set right now so it was handy. The plastic in the middle is broken fairly easily so it might be long gone or the tube could be buried in the rats nest between the DIS and the Cam/Crank sensors harness coming up from below.
Rock
93 5spd & 89 AOD

try again with smaller attachment!!

here it is with a smaller file size, it crashed as too big last time.
Rock

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 143
Ok...

tube.jpg

ok the thing circled in red is what i do have but that long piece with the blue arrow is not in my car ... that tube wit the red circle jus sits there not connected... how bad is it that its not connected to anything???? and is that a part i can get from ford or something?

Could be a Ford or salvage yard part. Could make your own with the proper sized hose.

Is there just hole in the driver's side valve cover with nothing in it? That is where the tube terminates. I would at least plug the hole into the intake tube as it will suck in dirty unmetered air into the intake system and could cause a lean condition in your car.

You should replace that tube and get it hooked back up.

Do you still have the PCV valve in the back of the passenger valve cover hooked up to the inlet plenum?

My guess is you have the plug-in at the drivers valve cover. If so, you could just use about 16-18" of flexible fuel/vacumm hose (5/16" ID I think) to go from the drivers side to the elbow. This can be tucked where the hard plastic pipe would have went and will be "invisible". Works OK on my sons 89.
Rock

Had the Exact same thing /question

Thank you! I just had the exact same problem on my sc after removing the air intake tube & box for MAF inspection last week, for the life of me I couldn't figure where that small hose went or its use.

NOW I KNOW. Just removed the DIS wires and found that part! Thanks for posting the question, the detailed picture made me run to the garage! good luck finding yours, its there-just tough to find and good luck craming that hose back in.

Once againg this site lessens the stress level!

That hose kinda bites. Easily slips out of the soft rubber portion and it's in a bad spot. I'm going to make mine slightly longer and have it routed over the wiring harness rather than under it.

Mike8675309, that sounds like a plan as long as you can curl that long piece around the dis. Looks like it is bent to tuck behind it. If you have any luck post it.

Also-I was following your latest tune-up posts and sent you a private message, I don't know where those go but try to check your messages if you would.

You can email me at TommieTixx@yahoo.com

Thanks

Ah... thanks for all the help people... i looked at drivers side valve cover and saw that hose plugged into it.. so i followed it under sc snout and everything and sure enough it was jus laying there... so i pushed both tubes back together now im in business... once again thanks people...

I assume this would not cause a check engine light. Could this negatively impact gas economy? If so how much.. up to 3mpgs?

Mine has been off a few times and I have put it back. What does this affect when this hose is of??
Could someone tell??

THANKS.

When the hose is off the engine is sucking in unmetered air, so the engine runs slightly lean.
How much of an issue this is I don't know, but you will be pulling unfiltered air into the engine with it unplugged.

Aaron

Back