would this work on our cars and would it sound good?

It would sound loud! I would like to know the boost pressure that is required for initial and full opening and would a 90 degree dump be as good or better than a 3" full system. It just might be a good solution to a cat back system with 2 1/4" downpipes into Magnaflow resonator into the VES with a stock exhaust.

i played with the idea of electric cut outs but the benefits arent worht the cost. i mean by-passing my cats and mufflers will pick up what ten maybe 12 horse. but cost about 75 or up per unit plus install. it would prolly cost 300 for everything and at that id say by the underdrive pulleys and an overdrive pulley. its a nifty idea but i cant see it giving you all that much improvement. it would save you the time from having to take off your old system and put on drag pipes at the track but its really a prefrence thing not a performnace changing inovation like the AR or a Nitrous kit

correct me if i am wrong, XR7 dave

I mentioned exaust cutouts to XR7 Dave one time in an e-mail correspondence, and he was saying how the changing back pressure would screw up your tune.

I think you want some back pressure with a supercharged system, whereas a turbo system, the less the better.

i looked at that website and was quite interested in all that they offer... but with respect to just a 90* release valve on a stock exhaust, i think you should probably see lower boost pressures suddenly as the valve opens, which would cause the valve to close back up again and this would cause it to fluctuate again and again. With a turbo set up, once the turbo is spooling, you want zero backpressure in the exhaust from the turbo back, because that will in fact increase boost moreso than decrease it because you still have the turbo to give back pressure in the exhaust between it and the engine, and the lower pressure on the outlet side of the turbo would also help it spin higher rpm's. As far as it affecting the tune, i really dont know, but i would believe it if someone told me it did, maybe if you had one of these installed after the resonator so that there would still be a relatively stable amount of backpressure in the system with the valve open, this might work. What i would like to see is one of these things being turned around and offered for NA applications operating on vacuum instead of boost, when max vacuum is hit in the intake, the exhaust valve would open giving you basically open headers when really into the throttle, but the question would be, is there enough vacuum to power one of these, what about idle vacuum levels and if more than one valve used as would probably be ideal for a V engine set up, would there be enough vacuum for both? Interesting product though none the less.

i cant remeber where i saw it but i saw some electric cut out that actually came off at a 45 degre angle and ewre controlled bny a switch so you could turn them off and on at your will. seems a beter idea then just a 90* opening in you pipes

i cant remeber where i saw it but i saw some electric cut out that actually came off at a 45 degre angle and ewre controlled bny a switch so you could turn them off and on at your will. seems a beter idea then just a 90* opening in you pipes
I think these are what you are talking about.

I thought about also putting it after the resonator that way its far enough downstream to still have some back pressure. I don't know if it would affect the tune as much then.

The video was neat, imagine bigger engine would sound like a nascar.

I'll probably put some wing nut cut outs after the downtubes on my big block but I don't know about my V6 SC's. I think I'll just stick with a good exhaust system.

I was looking around on ATP's site they have a 97 Audi A4 1.8t it made 113 whp stock, with a chip it made 143 whp. It was upgraded to a new turbo and then put out 295 whp. The finally put a bigger turbo on it and got it up to 414 whp and it ran 11.97@121mph from a stock 1.8T long block. Yes stock block, head, cams, only had a reprogrammed ecu, bigger injectors, and an upgraded clutch. Thats a 1.8L 4-cyl in an all wheel drive 4-dr. sedan. Impressive. The kit is really cheap too, under $3500 for the upgrade and front mount. I'm sure the bigger turbo they added would cost more, but that would be a fun commuter car.

the VES tech said in e-mail that it begians opening at 2-3 lbs boost and full open at 10 lbs. so it would progressively bleed off back pressure. What are the Saleen or Roush mustangs using as I read some where they had open exhaust at wide open

ThunderCoupe said:
What i would like to see is one of these things being turned around and offered for NA applications operating on vacuum instead of boost, when max vacuum is hit in the intake, the exhaust valve would open giving you basically open headers when really into the throttle, but the question would be, is there enough vacuum to power one of these, what about idle vacuum levels and if more than one valve used as would probably be ideal for a V engine set up, would there be enough vacuum for both? Interesting product though none the less.

I can imagine you could have the vaccum hooked up to a relay of sorts, and when vaccum is hit, it pulls the relay closed and you can then operate the valves with small servo motors, or something....

good idea soopacoupe, now all we have to do is patent it and we'll have all the mods for our cars that we could ever dream of...

Unless you have the stock exhaust, I don't think it will do much more than make the car really loud and annoying everytime you step on the throttle hard enough to get into the boost. As was stated earlier, there are many other things you could do to the car to make more power than you could possibly gain by opening up the exhaust.

David

Back