Front Spindle Swap

ThunderCoupe

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but i can't find it when i search... is there a way to swap the front spindles from 89-93 style to 94-95 for the upgraded brake packages?

ThunderCoupe said:
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but i can't find it when i search... is there a way to swap the front spindles from 89-93 style to 94-95 for the upgraded brake packages?

The cutoff point is 1992. 1989-91 have the old style, 92-97 have the new style. Yes, you can definitely swap, but you also need to swap the hubs if you want to use the newer brakes. The reason is that the newer rotors have a slightly larger center hole than the old ones, so they do not fit tightly on the hub. You can also switch to Mustang hubs and rotors, but I'm not all too familiar with that swap.

Anyone out there with better info, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't mind a bit.

I am not positive either but I believe the grouping goes like this for the MN-12 line:

89 Different hub circle than 90-92
90-92
93-97- the best spindles as you can swap Hubs to mustang or just add MK8 11.6" rotors and calipers

On my 93 I added the MK8 rotors and I could not believe the difference compared to my 92.

You know, I think you're right that the hubs and spindles changed at different times. I would like to revise my statement and say that the 89-90 have the smaller hubs than 91-97. The spindles might have changed in 93 ... it's either 92 or 93.

ThunderCoupe said:

Yes, I am currently in that project as we speak. I've got all the parts needed to make the swap and might get to it before the shootout, maybe right after. If you want a list of parts, both required and recommended I can do that for you. I can also get some pictures in progress as well. I've had the parts sitting for the more than a year as I have just been too lazy to get it totally done. But it is going to happen soon. I would give more info now, but I've got to run. You can email me at smalone@neb.rr.com for more information. I plan to do an instructional type of write up while I'm doing it as well for everyone's benefit.

As posted before '93 was the first year of the newer style spindle not '92. Try to get spindles from an ABS equipped car. I do not believe the non-ABS spindles have the hole drilled and tapped for the ABS ring sensor retainer.

Kevin Varnes said:
As posted before '93 was the first year of the newer style spindle not '92. Try to get spindles from an ABS equipped car. I do not believe the non-ABS spindles have the hole drilled and tapped for the ABS ring sensor retainer.
What he said. You will need 93 & up spindles from an ABS equipped car. This is the exact swap I did on my 92 a couple of years ago.

acb92sc said:
Will Pbr Calipers Work With Mark Viii 11.57 Rotors?

Only after the caliper brackets for the PBR calipers are redrilled for the mounting location. There's another thread on this recently...

Back