Service manual for 90 SC

ve3lt

I just bought a 90 SC and got it for a good price. There are a few minor things wrong with it and that is why I got it for a good price.
I am not a big fan of Chilton books as they are too vague when it comes to detail.
Does anyone know where one can get a book on service to find fault codes etc. I have a few lights on the dash that won't go off and the car also idles a bit rough (not sure if the MAP, MAF or TPS need replacement?)
The car also has a very slight hesitation while idling when you snap the throttle?
I don't htink these are major things but I don't want to blow a thousand bucks on modules and sensors unless I need them.
I have a Snap On Scanner that I can borrow off a friend, but I need to know what these codes mean. (does it plug into a plug on the inner apron or under the dash ont he drivers side inside?)
Short of going to the dealer, where can someone get these good manuals other than "MOTOR" or CHILTON - (which really suck!)

You can find the EEC-IV trouble codes posted in various places on the internet. Not sure if they are posted here or not. They used to be posted on tccoa. Just do a search on google for them.

The best service manual is a Ford factory service manual. You can find them on ebay. If you are patient you should be able to pick one up for around $25. New from helminc.com they are fairly pricey.

You do not need a fancy scanner to pull the trouble codes but they are nice. You can do it with a paperclip. You need to jump two wires in the EEC test port. One is the self test input wire (the single wire) and one of the pinouts of the block (cannot remember which one but you should be able to find it online again do a google search: dali-design used to have the procedure on their site). Then you get in and turn the key to "on" and the Check Engine Light will blink the codes to you. The process is outlined in a Haynes manual in the emissions section.

If you are unsure of their age you might just want to change the plugs and wires. These cars are very sensitive to bad plugs and wires. I've been out of the game for a few years, but I have had the best luck with Autolite/Motorcraft (don't think the Motorcraft p/n is still available but it is the same as the Autolite) double platinum plugs. They are expensive, but they work well. I've also had the best luck with stock Ford replacement plug wires. Last set I bought several years ago was about $60 at the dealer. If you've never changed plugs on an SC before be prepared for a learning experience. Also you might find it easier to change most of them from underneath the car. If you are good at contorting yourself and have small hands/arms you can get them from up top too.

Thanks Kevin I'll try ebay today for a book...
As for the plugs I know what you mean! I had the car on the hoist last night and saw the plugs. I guess I will play contortionist today and see if I can bend my arms in many fashions?
Also noticed I have to remove the gastank to change the parkbrake cable!
I wonder about engineeers sometimes?...sigh.... they never think of anything engineering wise to mechanics perspectives?!? :cool:

Back