Anyone fix their IAC

wisupercoupe

Well, I found out my idle problem. It was the IAC in the throttle body. So I take it off and take it apart. Come to find out the little spring inside was broken. So I grab a spring off my bench and strech it to the old spring length. Put the IAC back together and reinstall. BAm the IAC works fine now. Just though I'd pass along the info.

I just swapped mine completely... had the fog horn sound and a horrible idle at 2500rpm. It was time for it to go in the garbage.

I may have a similar problem that only shows in lower temps. At 80+ ambient temp, it is fine. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't really know where the IAC is on our cars, could somebody clue me in?

wisupercoupe said:
Well, I found out my idle problem. It was the IAC in the throttle body. So I take it off and take it apart. Come to find out the little spring inside was broken. So I grab a spring off my bench and strech it to the old spring length. Put the IAC back together and reinstall. BAm the IAC works fine now. Just though I'd pass along the info.

I had no clue you could 'fix' them...i've always replaced them in my two sc's and my dad's old taurus (RIP). HOw did u crack it open? I dont remember it having any screws.

CaifanSC said:
I had no clue you could 'fix' them...i've always replaced them in my two sc's and my dad's old taurus (RIP). HOw did u crack it open? I dont remember it having any screws.

It doesn't have screws. There's 4 tabs, 2 each side that you pry open. Then it will seperate to get at the insides. I just fixed it because I wanted to drive the car to work today and didn't have a spare one.

I'm amazed that you were able to do this w/o cracking the diaphragm. They get very brittle when they get old.

Back