Pressing a Hub Bearing Question??

Dahoopd

I am not sure I am understanding the directions correctly that I found on the search.

The directions state to have the wheel bearing pressed into the knuckle and then the hub into the knuckle. Is that correct? Do I have to take both to the machine shop. I was under the impression that I just had to take the hub and bearing and have them pressed together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys. D

Never mind, the shop says to press the bearing into the knuckle and then the hub into the knuckle. Just wanted to be straight before I attempt this.

Last edited:
The key issue is that you need to support the bearing races when pressing in the hub, otherwise you'll damage the bearing.

The tight fit requires a strong press to press them together and without supporting the race on the back side of the bearing, the action of pressing the hub in can damage the bearing.

Thanks Mike, I will be sure to mention that to the machine shop. I dont need to replace things on this beast a second time.

The old bearing makes a nice support. Also, but sure they press the bearing FULLY into the hub and do not dislodge it when the hub is pressed back into the bearing.

When you get your parts back, rotate the hub several times. It should require a little pressure to turn, but there should be NO side to side or front to back play in it. If there is, the bearing has probably become unseated and will wear out very quickly. Grab that knuckle and the hub and move it all around to feel for play!

As Mike mentioned, DO NOT let them press in the hub without fully supporting the bearing. That internal snap ring is not enough to withstand the pressure of pressing in the hub! It should only be reinstalled AFTER the hub is pressed in.

I have done several of these with my own press and have seen several otherwise competent shops mess up pressing in the bearing and hub on these cars. Ford even makes a special set of tools for this press job, but if you are careful, you can do it without those tools. The best tool in their set is the one that supports the knuckle to press out the bearing. It is hard to support the knuckle where it is perpendicular to the press without that fixture. It is essentially a piece of pipe with a cutout so the knuckle will sit flush and square with the press.

Thanks George, I found out today that Ford doesnt even offer the bearing or Hub alone. This is probably because even the Ford Techs can't instal the bearings right.

Just incase anyone needs to know you can get a New hub with bearing already pressed from Ford for $119. Thats not too much more than buying them separate and paying to have it pressed. I didnt go that route, but will on the other side. Thanks again, D

Dahoopd said:
Just incase anyone needs to know you can get a New hub with bearing already pressed from Ford for $119. Thats not too much more than buying them separate and paying to have it pressed. I didnt go that route, but will on the other side. Thanks again, D

On that note, does anyone know if the bearing for the SC is the same as whats on a mustang cobra with IRS? I know the hubs are the same but with different lug pattern.

Shane

Back