Throttle response

cap320

Hi, I've been searching the threads and have found some reference to what I feel is a problem but no definitive answer. I have a 5 speed and the engine is slow to idle down. I have to pause to let the engine come down before shifting to the next gear. It goes up maybe 300 rpm then backs off when you clutch and shift. (new clutch and slave cylinder)
I tried a new IAC, that did not solve my problem... Car is pulling almost 20 psi vacuum... TPS? Thanks

same here... as far as i can tell it's from the flywheel's mass still having too much momentum... lightweight flywheel would rev down and up slower, but has it's own downsides. Throttle response is usually refered to as the lag time between when you hit the gas pedal and when the engine responds with a power increase

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies .... the engine follows my foot going up but not to well backing off. I drive a 6-speed ss camaro also, quicker response for up or down shifting....no hanging at the upper rpm before idling down. Guess I'll work on my technique...

i think you should take into consideration the EEC IV computer is a little slower in responding to sensor input than most modern late cars. We may be talking milliseconds here, but i notice my car does have an ever so slight lag response to throttle input. every sc i had did this i think.

i would unhook the battery to reset the computer once i had the throttle body off with unhooking the battery it idled at 2000 for a week till i unhooked the battery then it was fine

my 91 5 speed does the same, it sits at 1200 RPM or so for maybe 10seconds or so before dropping down to normal idle at a stop light in neutral. I did notice that when I had the AC on it dropped to normal idle right away

Ron

You have to remember you are spining a 35# flywheel and 8 #'s worth of rotors in the SC plus all the accessories so that's the way it is.

Jeff

Back