Headlight Switch.... or is it?

SuperCB

Gang, I'm confused.

When I pull the h/l switch to the turn on the park lights, they don't come on. I keep pulling it to turn on the headlamps and the park lights, only the headlights come on. I then found that if I put the h/l switch between the park lights and the headlamps, the park lights would come on. I figured that I needed a new h/l switch for sure, so I went and got a new one from Ford, and it does the same thing. WTF???

Luckily I can use the dimmer switch (auto on, etc) to turn on the headlamps, and jimmy the park lights on with the h/l switch, but I want this fixed.

All the lights (dash, park etc) do work, it is just turning them on and off that is the issue. I did a search but didn't see anything similar.

Oh, I have a brand new MFS, and have relays on the headlamps and fog's.

Any thoughts?

lighting woes

My problem was in the wiring but it kept shorting out the h/l switch. The wiring is too small to carry the load of higher wattage, newer headlight bulbs and it causes the h/l switch to melt down internally. When I first got my '92 (the problem was fixed in '93 or '94,) it melted down, I replaced the switch, it melted down, Ford replaced it under a factory recall, and it melted down. That's three melted switches on me and I'm the third owner. I got a couple of relays and switches, wired in the power with taps directly to one side of the lighting system -- it's tandem wired so power to one side goes to both lights -- and haven't had a problem since. And, though it is illegal in Texas, I can run highs, lows, fog lights, and aftermarket driving lights, all at the same time or in any combo -- makes lots of light.

Back