New To This Please Help

91ScDrIvEr

Im not sure if this question has been asked. Accually it has most likley. ......
Well i just bought a 91 red SC w/leather and auto and has about 89-90<< OK let me explain the kid who owned it before me did a complete tune up on it, so how he did it? he lifted the motor to get to the plugs. Now i owned a 89 once before and did it all from under the motor in a pro lube shop in babylon NY...... and it took me about 5 hours. Well any way wile lifting the motor he said he broke the odometer cable and it broke at 89k he drove it for about 2 weeks before he parked it. He says it dont have any more the 90.... but you know how people like to stretch the truth, so im expecting the gaskets to go like soon. I wanted t o know if it is worth doing it your self (i have massive engine experiance working on mustang my whole life rebuilding motors)....How much would it cost to do it my self total? and how much would it cost final out the door if a garage did it for me? Im sorry if this question came up before. I did a serch and couldnt find what i wanted to know. Im not looking to repete any ones questions and to cause any problems, But i am real proud to be back with the Ford SC.... one of my all time favorite cars... I payed $1500.00 for the car in mint running and fast condition. The front bumper has a hole on the side and needs a tie rod wich is cake and a heater core wich is cake for me any ways. well please if you can tell me what i need to know, and its a pleasure to be part of this forum .....THANKS ;) :confused:

the sppedometer is electric there is no cable , i had about 90 bucks in 2 headgaskets , intake gasket , oil and filter , and antifreeze . a dealer will prob want about 1000 to do it , i did mine myself at about 207 k miles , it runs great

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68148

This is a fairly recent thread, a couple people go into different options, one guy sizemorek or something liek that lays down what you would wanna do for a decent engine rebuild....

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67979

Here is a thread that some guy wrote up, just a breif overview of what he went through when he rebuilt his motor, he did some blower porting and other performance upgrades as well. As for doing the bottom fo the motor too, i can't really help you out there....

I love an optimist, but you're in for a surprise with the heater core. The complete dash has to come out. Do a search on replacing heater core you'll see what I mean about the difficulty. John

Unless you'd like to pay over a thousand bux for a 'shop' to do it i'd say do it your self....i know with the experience you have you wouldnt send it to a shop anywho. Expenses...can be as low as just the replacement stuff 'needed' as "rlong" pointed out...maybe $100 bux, BUT...BUT....many people do other stuff while the engine is torn appart that far. Its only logical....while the engine is torn you can replace and have easier access to many other things. Plus you can port and clean some of the stuff (intake manifold, blower, heads, etc). Good luck friend.

Well he says there is only 90 on the motor and i think as soon as its in my hands (the car) im gonna do the gaskets right away. Now is there a way i can get more sound out of the blower? i like the winding sound of a supercharger. should i replace the timing chain wile its all apart? i know on the mustangs the timing should be replaced and should i go with the timing gears instead of the chain? (what do you recomend) how much do i expect to spend on headers and not looking to spend all that much. I just want some speed out of it, with that badd a** blower sound. :confused:

well he didnt accually say he broke any thing speedo works but not the milage, he said he lifted the motor to do the tune up on it and after he was finnished the milage didnt work ........ (getting on) There is not one trace of smoke, black, white, blue or any thing. I even put my nose to the pipe and smelt like almost nothing lol thats wierd exhaust not smelling?...... the car sounds real tight and not one bit of nocking, tapping or any thing of this sort. the leather has one rip in the driver seat, wanna know somthingthing really weird, the sub in the rear sounds good lol. the sub in my last SC was ripped and every one who has one that i know says theres are ripped too. The tranny is shifting perfect. The motor looks real clean, not like just cleaned but you know clean. You can tell when some one cleans the motor. all i need to do is the heater core and the front bumper change the side the the front bumper is ripped off. no dents or major scratches, i noticed today the pass. door has a small ding.The kids swears up and down nothing leaks or drips. The sunroof looks solid and the back seat looks to be there is a little mold looking stuff, like water has been sitting but it is dry so that is somthing to look into. Now do you guys thing from what i told you its worth 1500 regardless of the odometer reading?

91ScDrIvEr said:
I payed $1500.00 for the car in mint running and fast condition. The front bumper has a hole on the side and needs a tie rod......and a heater core.....
Mint Condition?

(1) Front bumper cover ripped & hanging loose
(2) Bad Tie Rod
(3) Bad Heater Core
(4) Odometer broke
(5) Moldy back seat
(6) Evidence of water damage
(7) Door dings

Still probably worth what you paid for it.

68COUGAR

I went the lazy route and paid to have my heater core done... only cost $700 at a local radiator shop and an afternoon

Back