Transmission Problems

Poobah

First - thanks for the help with the pulley/balancer question.

When I first tried to start the car in park - the engine would catch and then die. The car would start and run in Neutral but as soon as I placed the selector in reverse (or park) the engine would die. When the car died it sounded as if the car had a manual transmission and the driver had tried to get going in fifth.

The mechanic that is going to fix the pulley showed up, and after a couple of tries managed to get the car to start in park. Whatever ever happened to let the thing start busted reverse. I am guessing a band.

The SC is a 90 model, with the AOD transmission.

Do I fix this transmission (46k miles) or get one from a junkyard? As long as I'm doing this anyway should I get an AODE model? Manual?

Thanks,

TW

The exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. If you raise the rear wheels off the floor, you will be able to put it in gear w/o it killing the engine but if you press the brake peddle, it will kill the engine. I've never figured out what is wrong. I just installed a new torque converter, thinking that was the problem but that was not it, so I installed a used AOD from a 92 SC to go into my 90. My plan is to open the old trans and see what exactly went wrong. Good luck, if you figure out whats wrong let me know also.

Back