Strange Problem (Idle+Rich)

JimmyDean

Today as I pushed in the clutch pulling away from a stop sign, my engine started revving up. I let the clutch out again and my car started accelerating all by itself. I was WTF'ing, so I parked her. The car was idling at about 2500 rpms. It felt and smelled really hot too, so I opened that rad cap... Bone dry! I dont know what caused that... Anyway, the idle was still really high. I pulled into a local car place to see if they could help me out. It was making a really loud whine, so I tried pulling the belt on the SC. No difference. I tried pulling the octane plug and the plug by the alternator. Didn't change idle, made it a bitch to start. I disconnected the battery for a while to see if I could get it to reset idle. No go... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

BTW, these cars are rediculously slow with no supercharger.

It's gotta be getting air from somewhere to idle at 2500 RPMs. You already ruled out the SC. You must have suddenly developed a vacuum leak from somewhere. I would check the IAC first. Unplug it and see what happens. Then maybe try the traditional methods of rooting out vacuum leaks if that doesn't help.

Im pretty sure its the IAC now... One question. To get the IAC off, is it easier to take the throttle body off first? I have some serious trouble getting that bottom bastard of a bolt off.

Alright Im getting a new IAC tomorrow. I looked at mine, and the plastic diaphraghm has several tears. Guess thats the problem... I have a question. A few actually.

1) How can I go about get the Throttle body off? I had a bastard of a time getting the IAC out with it attached, so Im just gonna remove it. I can see 3 of the bolts, but getting to the bottom right seems impossible.

2) How do I disconnect the throttle linkage and such?

3) When I removed my intake tube I noticed the PCV breather tube (I think) was disconnected. There is about a foot of rubber tube off of the intake tube that was not attached to anything. Where does it go?

For the throttle linkage, I think you just need to pry the cables away from the TB until they pop out of the holes. Gently, of course.

The PCV tube is supposed to run from the bottom of the intake tube across the front of the engine, behind the AC compressor (kind of hard to reinstall if it comes loose). If you can't reinstall it with the compressor in place, take the belt off and unbolt the compressor, move it forward, then reattach the PCV tube with a hose clamp.

For the TB bolt, I'm not sure - haven't removed it yet.

JimmyDean said:
Today as I pushed in the clutch pulling away from a stop sign, my engine started revving up. I let the clutch out again and my car started accelerating all by itself. I was WTF'ing, so I parked her. The car was idling at about 2500 rpms. It felt and smelled really hot too, so I opened that rad cap... Bone dry! I dont know what caused that... Anyway, the idle was still really high. I pulled into a local car place to see if they could help me out. It was making a really loud whine, so I tried pulling the belt on the SC. No difference. I tried pulling the octane plug and the plug by the alternator. Didn't change idle, made it a bitch to start. I disconnected the battery for a while to see if I could get it to reset idle. No go... Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

BTW, these cars are rediculously slow with no supercharger.
i had the same problem last week. started revving up to about 2500 rpm.and it would accelerate by itself.i pulled the iac to inspect it and sure enough the plastic diaphragm was ruptured.so i replaced the iac and everything is fine, now idles at about 800 rpm.by the way if you have a 8 mm swivel socket,along with an extension(1/4 inch drive tools preffered cause theyre smaller)removing that bottom bolt is a breeze.i didnt have to remove anything else.also my alternator developed a whine about 3 months ago.it was annoyingly loud so i installed a new alternator.and about 6 months ago i noticed my supercharger was a bit noisy.so i drove it without the belt for a couple of weeks.and yes it is EXTRREMELY slow. i put some oil in the supercharger and has been relatively quiet up to this point.

Back