brake problems

ndoftyme69

I just picked up a 89 automatic SC,traded my 89 mark 7 for it. When I first got the car the brakes worked fine,but when I pressed the brake pedal both brake warning lights would come on then shut off. Now the lights come on at random times and when I press the brake pedal its real stiff like theres no power assist , it's like having manual brakes I have to press the pedal down harder to stop faster but at the same time while trying to fight the car to stop the warning light will shut off and then the brakes work normally. when the lights are on the brake pedal is stiff with no power assist and when the lights are off they work fine.Also the brake pump turns on and off all the time draining my battery completely dead. So I have to disconnect my battery when I get out to keep the pump from coming on. i don't know anything about abs , any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Two things...
You need an new ABS Pump Relay (GP Sorensen MR120) about $12.00
The relay is located by the firewall on the passenger side near the EEC test port. This will correct the pump running constantly.

And, you need a new Accumulator (contact Prior Remanufacturing www.priorreman.com ) about $100.00 Tell them it's the accumulator for a Teves Mark II ABS. This will correct the ABS & BRAKE warning light flashing and temporary loss of brake assist.

If you don't replace the accumulator now, you will need a new ABS hydraulic unit (about $600.00 from Prior) due to overheated pump....

If the relay sticks in the closed position, the pump will run with the key off (until the battery goes dead, or the pump overheats and locks up).

Back