What to expect past 100k?

johnwartjr

Greetings

I'm a lurker, my daily driver is a 95 SC with 111,xxx miles on it.

Around 85k, the head gaskets were replaced and the torque convertor was replaced as well. The car came with a lot of receipts in the glove box for maintenance stuff, oil changes, etc.

I replaced the battery about 2 years ago, recently put on a new alternator. It's time for a new set of tires before winter.

I'm not much of a mechanic. The alternator wasn't bad to replace, the sensor under the SC wasn't hard to change, but realistically I don't the mechanical aptitude, deep pockets to pay a professional nor do I have the ability to have the car down weeks on end. I have a father and a father in law who are experts at fixing cars who could likely help me on many projects

I read a lot of posts that talk about how expensive these cars can get past 100k.

What can I expect to replace on this car? Any ticking time bombs coming soon? I know that no 2 cars are the same, but history often repeats itself.

I need 4 new tires, an alignment and will need to buy plates in the next 30 days. The car seems to be very mechanically sound, but has 3 stage paint and its fair share of chips.

So basically, I'm having my every 12 month worry fest about the car eating me out of house and home, wondering if I've gotten to the point where it's time to look at something more practical :)

Also, can anyone recommend any reasonably priced tires? I would like to buy some nice wheels and something super sexy tire wise next year, but would like to find a decent all-season type tire that will do well in snow for this winter and not break the bank.

Lately, I've been buying tires from Wally World since they are everywhere and the road hazard is good at 2100 stores etc.

I seem most interested in the Goodyear Eagle GT-HR, which would be around $400 for all 4 mounted and balanced with road hazard. Does anyone have any experience with these tires on a SC?

Thanks for listening to me rant/ramble :)

Back