Cam sensor how?

Willy

Hey Fellas
I have a 94 5 spd that I am trying to set cam sensor position on.
Problem I have is that there is no balancer shields on the car. If Im not mistaken timing marks are on the top of this shield is this true. I tried to set #1 cyl to 26 deg atdc, but the marks on the stock balancer (atc & btc) do not make sense all numbers are on the right side of the notch on balancer.
Has anyone set cam sensor position with out timing marks on balancer shields is this possible.
Thanks Willy
94 5spd

are you just trying to replace the cam sensor? cuz that's just 2 screws and u pop it off then slap a new one on and put the 2 screws back in. If that's what you're trying to do that is....

I tore engine down to find bad berings, replaced engine with fresh rebuild. ever since there has been a great lack of power. After pulling my hair out I realized i did not reposition cam syncronizer correctly. I think timing/fuel dilevery in incorrect. What I did is mark the base of sensor assy and dropped it back in. I must be close car runs ok no misfire or cel light, just runs very poor performance wise and gas mileage sucks. unless I got real lucky and dropped this sensor base in correct and my problem is elsewhere, but I dout it I need to position this correctly and see.
thanks Willy W
94 slow as can be 5 spd

You need to set your crank to 26 deg ATDC and install the cam sensor using one of these tools. OTC6471 part

303-358-L.gif

The arrow will point 30 deg away from the face of the engine block. The Ford Shop Manual covers this procedure. Please don't tell me you tore down the engine and rebuilt it without a Ford Shop manual :eek:

Rich

I did not rebuild myself,
After getting quotes at machine shops, I had questions on the pricing quoted to me in my area. Afetr posting my ?s A former member emailed me about a fresh rebuild he had, parted car due to other reasons. Hopefully I will get scanner soon have many pictures of install, and torn apart 94 engine with bad berings. Anyways getting back to subject, I heard this engine run sounded good, but was out of a 93 my car is a 94 different crank sensor mounting locations and balancers. This is how my problem started so I swapped timing chain covers 94 to 93 and just dropped cam sensor base into cover not realizing i need to sync it. So now Im following Ford spec 26deg atc cyl#1 no problem thing is I have no balancer shield covers on car with timing marks on it. Now when I tore apart the original 94 motor I can not for the life of me remember that the motor had covers either. Today I willl search through my piled up parts to see, if not I do also own a 92 5spd that I will try to make some type of template to reference where 26deg would be wish me luck and again thanks guys this club has been valueable to anyone who owns a SC
Willy W
SC driving me nuts

Back