Leaky IC tubes?

Stocker

I'm having an interesting problem with my SC. It's got a leak somewhere but I can't pinpoint it. The sound reminds me of an exhaust leak, but I went over the studs/nuts and all of them are nice and tight with no pin holes in any of the pipes. The sound is coming from the front of the car. Since I can't find it in the exhaust, I'm thinking it could be from my IC tubes. The only problem with that is I don't know what leaky IC tubes would sound like. When I replaced my SC I didn't use a seal kit on the ends, but I'm not feeling any vacuum or pressure leaks around the ports(?). Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot, I'm putting out around 11psi max, if that makes a difference.

It's not a pressing matter as the car runs fine, but it's just annoying as phizuck.

Last edited:
If you had a major IC leac in the SC Connections the car would not idle very well. It would not be making any kind of noises you can hear anyways...

Pull the belt off the Blower and see if it goes away I guess...That would rule out the IC tubes if you really think thats what it is. "Doubt it"

If it sounds like an exh. leak it prolly is...You may have blown a manifold gasket??

Brad

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Forgot to say that I only hear it under a load, never at idle; whether I'm just cruising or accelerating it doesn't matter, I can hear it.

Positive it isn't a rattle. I went over the vacuum lines several times after putting the other blower on to make sure there weren't any leaks or that I forgot to plug one up.

cudaz101 said:
If you had a major IC leac in the SC Connections the car would not idle very well. It would not be making any kind of noises you can hear anyways...
Brad

If he can hear the sound when the car is simply idling you could have a leaking intercooler tube all day long and it won't matter, the car would idle just fine, as long as the bypass valve is working correctly. The only time the intercooler and tubes play a part is when you are under boost, then if you have a leaking intercooler system it would bog down and not have as much power.

Again idling has nothing to do with the intercooler it should idle just fine.

James

Quik95SC said:
If he can hear the sound when the car is simply idling you could have a leaking intercooler tube all day long and it won't matter, the car would idle just fine, as long as the bypass valve is working correctly. The only time the intercooler and tubes play a part is when you are under boost, then if you have a leaking intercooler system it would bog down and not have as much power.

Again idling has nothing to do with the intercooler it should idle just fine.

James

James,
Go loosen the upper IC connection and prove your whole theory wrong...I know I already have during the first of two Engine replacments. Loose upper IC connection gave me a no idle issue. Tightened that up and poof the problem magically goes away.

Brad

Leak

Stocker said:
I'm having an interesting problem with my SC. It's got a leak somewhere but I can't pinpoint it. The sound reminds me of an exhaust leak, but I went over the studs/nuts and all of them are nice and tight with no pin holes in any of the pipes. The sound is coming from the front of the car. Since I can't find it in the exhaust, I'm thinking it could be from my IC tubes. The only problem with that is I don't know what leaky IC tubes would sound like. When I replaced my SC I didn't use a seal kit on the ends, but I'm not feeling any vacuum or pressure leaks around the ports(?). Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot, I'm putting out around 11psi max, if that makes a difference.

It's not a pressing matter as the car runs fine, but it's just annoying as phizuck.

CHECK THE CONNECTIONS AT THE INTERCOOLER. IF THERE IS A LEAK , THE RESULT WILL BE A TERRIBLE MISS IN THE ENGINE WITH NO POWER. DISCONNECT THE 2 BOLTS WHERE THE TUBES MEET THE COOLER (TOP AND BOTTOM), USE GASKET SEALENT, REBOLT THEM AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE. THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY 91 SC AUTO WHEN I CHANGED THE WATER PUMP.
WILLIE....RALEIGH, NC

Looks like I have to get some new exhaust. After pulling off the blower belt, I couldn't tell any difference minus the nauseating loss of power.

Back