How much power gain can be expected from the following..

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
1 Removed air silencer
2 K&N Cone filter in the fenderwell.
3 I/C fan
4 Removed cats

And with these mods should i just go ahead and pickup a 5% pulley too?

Ditching the cats will help your exhaust to flow better but your resinator is still the main restriction. So I say no 5% til you've really opened up your exhaust or like blown head gaskets like I have.
Of the stuff you've done I'd think no more than 10rwhp, most of that would be comming from your IC fan.

Ok so basicly ditching the cats will not do as much as doing somthing with the resonator? I've yet to do anything to the exhaust i am just trying to figure out what to do to it.. I don't want somthing anoying loud inside the car.. What if i keep the cats and get a highflow resonator or? i have a 3" in 3" out flowmaster 1 chamber laying around what about putting that inplace of the resonator and keeping the cats for now? wouldnt that free up the exhaust and not really make it much louder?

When I replace my resonator....I could definately tell the difference. Then I put on a 5% pulley and again I could tell the difference. One of my rear mufflers was bad so I replaced them also. I couldn't tell the difference in power, but I did get a increase in exhaust note.

A tune up and a resonator should always be the first mods to a SC IMO.

Michael

Look at my mods on my member page. I dynoed 231 RWHP and 344 lbft torque before I ditched my cats. That was above 5000ft. elevation.I did my flowmaster exhaust and went from a 5% to 12% pulley and dropped 1/2 sec from my quarter mile. That was the biggest increase out of all my mods. I just ditched my cats and my exhaust is too loud. The flowmaster system sounded great before I ditched the cats. I noticed no improvement at the track with no cats other than more consistent times.

So would my best bet be to find a high flow resonator instead of using this flowmaster i've got laying around? anybody have a clip of a S/C with stock mufflers and cats running and aftermarket resonator?

Jacob_Royer said:
So would my best bet be to find a high flow resonator instead of using this flowmaster i've got laying around? anybody have a clip of a S/C with stock mufflers and cats running and aftermarket resonator?

I didn't notice any difference in sound when I replace my resonator with a magnaflow. It was still quiet as ever.

As long as you have stock cats you can ditch the resonator completely at least for now. Cheap mod. If you ditch the cats you'll need a resonator.

As for the OD pulley, why not? Who can explain to me why a 5% OD pulley isn't helpful? Since you have an IC fan I'd do a 5% jack and 5% blower pulley.

I'd also toss in a 180 deg thermostat and this time of year I'd unplug the A/C compressor clutch and run the A/C on all the time. You'll be amazed how cool the car will run.

I'd also recommend a CAI like the JLT one. $150 well spent.

XR7 Dave said:
As long as you have stock cats you can ditch the resonator completely at least for now. Cheap mod. If you ditch the cats you'll need a resonator.

As for the OD pulley, why not? Who can explain to me why a 5% OD pulley isn't helpful? Since you have an IC fan I'd do a 5% jack and 5% blower pulley.

I'd also toss in a 180 deg thermostat and this time of year I'd unplug the A/C compressor clutch and run the A/C on all the time. You'll be amazed how cool the car will run.

well my cats are rattling soo i have to replace them and i would rather get the flows...also want to get the resonator my LX has

XR7 Dave said:

you feeling ok dave?

Tyler

XR7 Dave said:

Dave, Where do you unplug the AC compressor clutch? My AC is deleted, is there another plug I need to disconnect? Right now when I turn the AC on it doesn't turn on my fan.

XR7 Dave said:

Well, I guess I can try to explain. I suggested not going with the 5% OD SC pulley with the only exhaust mod being no cats which is where he was at with his mods when he posed the question. If he is w/o cats and has a high flow resonator, then by all means I'd say OD the SC 5%-10%.

Jacob_Royer said:
So ditching the resonator and keeping the stock mufflers and cats will not be anoyingly loud?

It didn't for me. I have 3 manaflow muffers (resonator and 2 at rear) and I only have a minor annowing buzz at certain RPMS.

T@Sound-Xtreme said:
you feeling ok dave?

Tyler

Ok smartie.

I missed the part about no cats. Gotta have a resonator or you'll be banned from the brotherhood of SC's.

On an old style blower 5% od will never hurt anything even on a totally stock motor. If you have fixed the cats/resonator problem at least 10% is fine but I'd do 15%. You want about 14psi so whatever it takes to get to 14psi.

There is no such thing as "safety" regarding headgaskets on these cars. Old headgaskets are shot and any efforts at performance are going to put them at risk. Heck starting the car in the morning is going to put them at risk.

XR7 Dave said:
Ok smartie.

I missed the part about no cats. Gotta have a resonator or you'll be banned from the brotherhood of SC's.

On an old style blower 5% od will never hurt anything even on a totally stock motor. If you have fixed the cats/resonator problem at least 10% is fine but I'd do 15%. You want about 14psi so whatever it takes to get to 14psi.

There is no such thing as "safety" regarding headgaskets on these cars. Old headgaskets are shot and any efforts at performance are going to put them at risk. Heck starting the car in the morning is going to put them at risk.

OK i guess im the one not feeling that great then, see thread in Tech forum

Tyler

I still have my cats i am trying to figure out which way to go with it and if i can get away with 5% when i do.. My I/C fan is in the mail so it deffinately will get installed before i do anything with a pulley.

ok ditch the cats port exh manifolds replace resonator this will make a big differance in perf ,

as dave said 14 lbs is great run ac as stated , and a cooler thermostat,

ic fan car should kick butt. and the jl sounds good . these cars respond to exh treatments nicely

NMxr7SC said:
Dave, Where do you unplug the AC compressor clutch? My AC is deleted, is there another plug I need to disconnect? Right now when I turn the AC on it doesn't turn on my fan.
Anyone?????

Back