Changed Plugs... Look, after only 6k mi.

littleboylan

Im not too sure that the plugs should look like this one, especially after 6k miles on them. I know for sure that I had an airleak, I am wondering if that would cause them to look like this. Mike

Attachments

• Spark Plug #6.JPG
    Spark Plug #6.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 198
Reading plugs is an art. Disciphering blurry images is something else. Get a good shot and then post it. ;)

Yeah the pic is terrible, but I can see enough to know that it has what is called ash fouling. Typically this is the result of increased engine oil consumption, usually from too much oil getting past the valve guides, but not always.

Interesting little story of personal experience about ash fouling. I had a 5 liter Capri that had a fresh engine and it also ash fouled plugs. I was using Valvoline synthetic but if the engine was going to use oil I wasn't going to waste synthetic on it (I figured it was a valve guide issue and I wasn't going to rip the heads off just for that), so I switched to regular Valvoline All-Climate 10w30.

Damned if it didn't stop ash fouling the plugs! I got curious and started doing some research into the oils and found that Valvoline synthetic had an outrageous amount of ash. Basically it had the most ash, by a couple of times, of any oil I could find that info on.

To take a close up picture.
#1 - your camera may have a macro function that will allow it to focus on a close object. See if it does.

#2 - baring a macro function, set the camera to take the highest resolution picture it can and stay back enough so it can focus. Then crop the picture after you get it off the camera. If you're pixel count on the camera is good, you'll be able to zoom into the picture and get a nice picture of the plug.

Does look like excess oil though...even blurry.

Take it Eassyy

Man you guys are sure a tough crowd, I took probably 30 pictures, this being the BEST of them all. I tried everything I could with my camera to get it focused in real good. Looks like I can figure out my camera as much as I can figure out my own car. That was the worst plug of the 6, the others are just a little on the tan side. Thanks for the replys, Mike

Digital cameras can be a pain to use as they have trouble taking close ups.....

Increasing resolution and cropping is a good solution....

You might try standing about 4 - 6 feet away and using the zome function to take the picture.....

If it still come out fuzzy or blurred, use a tripod.....

Get creative and don't forget about using the delayed shutter button...

Back