Engine stuck at high idle between 2000-3000 rpm.

wddefend-4u

I have a 93 Super Coupe with a 3.8 Supercharged V6 with 5 speed manual transmission. One day driving down the road, the engine started speeding up without me pressing the accelerator. The engine is now at a permanent idle of 2000 to 3000 rpm.

What's wrong?

wddefend-4u

as the engine begins to shut down it makes a horn like sound

When I turn the engine off, as the engine begins to shut down it makes a horn like sound.

wddefend-4u

wddefend-4u said:
I have a 93 Super Coupe with a 3.8 Supercharged V6 with 5 speed manual transmission. One day driving down the road, the engine started speeding up without me pressing the accelerator. The engine is now at a permanent idle of 2000 to 3000 rpm.

What's wrong?

wddefend-4u

wddefend-4u said:
wddefend-4u

I had the same problem a few years ago, and it turned out to be the TPS (Throttle position sensor) The diaphram in the sensor tore, so it was sucking in more air than it needed which shot up the idle. It is located on the throttle body, and easy to replace.

There is no diaphraghm in the TPS. Thats the IAC your talking about. I just got finished replacing this part, had the EXACT same problem you did. Its a 20 minute job, tops.

JimmyDean said:
There is no diaphraghm in the TPS. Thats the IAC your talking about. I just got finished replacing this part, had the EXACT same problem you did. Its a 20 minute job, tops.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

mostly its the iac but coulb be tps too , it wouldnt hurt to unhook the battery for a while to reset it and try it agian , that has worked for me too

did you figure out your problem?? My 89 XR7 is doin the Exact same thing right now..
I've disconnected the battery for like an hr or so cause i thought it could have been electrical nothing still revs high... i have the weird sound when i shut off my engine... its rather loud... it turns the heads of people near by lol.... sorry if i am hijackin this post... i just wanna get my lil cougar fixed

Back