Airbag Codes

tgrans21

Hi. My AirBag light has been sending me some codes as of late, for the past 2 days at least. 13, 51, and 53 have been appearing in random order, all today has been 13, yesterday was 53 first, then later in the day 51.

Now according to TCCOA thats telling me that I have a few things going on: (13)Air bag circuit short to ground, (51)Diagnostic monitor internal thermal fuse blown due to intermittent short to ground, and (53)Primary crash sensor circuit resistance to ground or internal diagnostic monitor failure.

Is TCCOA correct as far as 94' SCs? If so how can I locate and correct this/these problems... and if not, what are the true problems and how can I fix them?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Airbag codes

AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR FAULT CODE PRIORITY TABLE
Priority Code Component/Fault Description
Highest -- No Air Bag Lamp - Inoperative Lamp Circuit or No Ignition Voltage to Diagnostic Monitor
| -- Continuous Air Bag Lamp - Diagnostic Monitor Disconnected or Inoperative
| 12 Low Battery Voltage
| 13 Air Bag Circuit or Crash Sensor Circuit - Shorted to Ground
| 21 Safing Sensor - Not Mounted on Vehicle Properly
| 22 Safing Sensor Output Circuit - Shorted to Battery Voltage
| 23 Safing Sensor Input Feed/Return Circuit Open
| 24 Open in Circuit 944B or Low Resistance in Crash Sensor(s)
| 32 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 33 Pin 7 Not Grounded at Diagnostic Monitor
| 34 Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted
| 35 Low Resistance Across Pins 8 and 9 at Diagnostic Monitor
| 41 Crash Sensor Circuit - High Resistance or Open
| 44 RH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 45 Center Radiator Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 46 LH Crash Sensor - Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly
| 51 Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse - Blown and Short to Ground No Longer Exists
| 52 Backup Power Supply - Voltage Boost Fault
| 53 Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault
Lowest -- Rapid Continuous Flashing of Air Bag Lamp - All Crash Sensors Disconnected

Airbag codes cont..

Go to a dealer and have them diagnose it. Then take your findings to a junk yard and get the parts. It sounds as if a module went bad. Replacing it without fixing any other possible problems could result in the deployment of some very expencive balloons.

I found this post and wanted to verify that the codes here are the proper ones for the 94/95 SC. I don't know exactly what happened, but after sitting for 2 years, I'm now getting what I think is code 53 (might have been 35).

According to these codes, it looks like I need to check the diagnostic monitor. Any reason why this would have gone bad? Where exactly is the module located so I can check the grounds and replace if needed?

Edit: I read in another thread that unplugging and plugging the module back in might solve the issue, so now I just need to find it. Is it above/behind the glovebox?

Last edited:
Back