headlight problem

89sc5spd

when i turn on my headlights (they work fine) they go on and off, as well as all the dash lights and stuff, why would they be going on and off, kinda sux, cause i cant drive it at night! also when i push the bar all the way forward for the brights, they dont come on, but when i pull it all the way back (cause brights will go on if u pull the bar all the way back but it doesnt stay engaged) they work perfectly, what in the world is going on here?

Any help is GREATLY apprecaited,
Sean

Could be the switch or the turn signal stalk.

Isolate what happens when do this or that with the switch or the thing on the handle.

There are TSB's and Recalls out for the headlight switch depending on year and miles.

Too much current running through them causes them to melt. Certain years they would catch on fire and were recalled.

The headlight switch was a recall item on certain years. I'd replace it if you are having strange problems. Also, the high beams are part of the multifunction switch which (guess what??) also was a recall item on certain years. I never had a recall notice on either of these things myself, just the ignition switch, but if I had problems, I'd look at those 2 things.

ANSWER!!

I HAD THIS SAME EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY 90 T BIRD, I WAS DRIVING AROUND ALL THE TIME PULLING TH EBAR BACK TO KEEP THE BRIGHTS ON. ITS THE SWITCH, IT HAS BURNED OUT. SO WHEN YOU PUT THE LIGHTS ON, THEY WILL GO ON, BUT AFTER A LITTLE WHILE THE SWITCH WILL GET TOO HOT, AND THE LIGHTS SHUT OFF, BUT WHEN YOU PULL THE BAR BACK THE BRIGHTS COME ON AND WILL STAY AS LONG AS U ARE PULLING BACK CORRECT? IF THATS THE CASE, THEN THE SWITCH IS BURNED OUT OR THE ASSEMBLY RIGHT BEHIND IT, WHATEVER ITS CALLED, REPLACE IT AND EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FINE. I WAS TOLD FORD'S ARE NOTORIOUS FOR HAVING THIS HAPPEN, BUT IT MIGHTVE JUST BEEN A SHITTY MECHANIC, BUT I HAD MINE REPLACED AND ALL WAS WELL. HOPE THIS HELPS--
DAMON
95 SC

Back