door hinge washer trick, how many?

7birdslater

How many of you have put washers between the lower door hinge and the door as a temp fix for your sagging doors? Most of my birds have had this problem and ive allways had to cut the pins and use the help kits with new bushings. But my current SC's hinges are so bad the doors wont shut. I just tried some washers and the doors shut great now. I will replace the entire hinge before I paint the car to eliminate the problem, but boy aint it great to have doors that shut without picking up on them! :)

easy

You just take the bolts between the lower door hinge and the door out and place a washer between the door and the hinge and put the bolts back. This raises the door up enough to make up for your worn out hinge. You can use different sizes and quantities of washers depending on your ammount of door sag. I got both my doors to close perfectly with just one washer on each bolt.
Granted this isnt a really long term fix, but its free if you have washers lying around.

can you post a pic?

Both my SC's are getting hard to open the drivers door you really have you yank on it and slam it to shut.

Also on my black sc the door only works when you put the key in and turn it while pulling on the handle. And when you release either the inner or outer handle it will pull the lock back down. So the door is always locked. I might just get a new door soon and have it painted to match.

7birdslater said:
How many of you have put washers between the lower door hinge and the door as a temp fix for your sagging doors? Most of my birds have had this problem and ive allways had to cut the pins and use the help kits with new bushings. But my current SC's hinges are so bad the doors wont shut. I just tried some washers and the doors shut great now. I will replace the entire hinge before I paint the car to eliminate the problem, but boy aint it great to have doors that shut without picking up on them! :)
do you plan on marketing these washers pre package them in sets of 12 and sell em for $10 as they are a door shim kit lol :D

good fast fix but will the weight sitting on such a small area start to crack the door ? maybe a wide shim is better? can you post a picture?

Have Done This

mannysc said:
do you plan on marketing these washers pre package them in sets of 12 and sell em for $10 as they are a door shim kit lol :D

good fast fix but will the weight sitting on such a small area start to crack the door ? maybe a wide shim is better? can you post a picture?
ON 3 DOORS ON TWO BIRDS ONE HAS 3 YEARS AND NO PROBLEMS WITH CLOSING ,,,IS A OLD SCHOOL TRICK...WAS :eek: DONE FOR YEARS IN 50,S & 60,S

You can use larger washers if your worried about the door cracking I guess. Im just using it as a temp fix until I get all the mechanical issues fixed, then I will worry about the cosmetic stuff. I will get a pic soon, but its nothing but washers pinched between the door and the hinge assy. 2 for each door as you only need them on the bottom hinge.

Or Do This

I have had 9 of these cars all with sagging doors. You want a quick fix well here you go. Take a 10 inch 2x4 and place under the far edge of the door and take your floor jack and jack it up till you think it moves with the door open just a little. You might need to do this many times but it works perfect and will not dammage door. It will seem like its about to lift the car up off the wheels but trust me it works. Oh 2 people make this safer.

Sooooooooo...you cut out the old pin and slide a new one in? Sorry about the revival but I JUST noticed mine is starting to crack the paint along the jam. I need to know where you got the replacement hinge pins too. I know they WERE available at MN12 performance but are they still available somewhere else?

Chris

Just wondered how many people have done it without removing the door. All the stuff I do now turns into a HUGE fiasco. Today I tried to swap out tanks on my Bronco for the plastic unit. The metal one is leaking. Even though it has been leaking AND sitting for years, it is still like half full of....well....varnish. It still burns but I have to figure out a way to git rid of it now.:rolleyes: Anyone need some firestarter? I ordered the kits and hopefully that will fix my issues.

Chris

Back