Any diff. in cars manufactured for California

Swade

Still trying to fix this dammfan!

So while I was waiting to get a new alternator, I thought it would be a good idea to try and trouble shoot my low speed fan some more. I should have known better!! I got all excited and thought I was onto something and ended up tearing apart the whole right hand side wiring harness apart searhing for a bad splice/short that turned out to be a ghost.

After some cursing and head scratchiing I realized that the wiring diagram I was following did not match what is on my car. I was trying to follow pin 13 from the IRCM to all the componets spliced into that wire to narrow down a short I thought I had found. Later I realized the pin 13 I followed on the car was actually the path the wiring diagram shows for pin 9, and I still dont know where pin 9 on the car goes.

All the wiring diagrams I have seen match each other and match the year of the car. The only thing I can think of is cars made to sell in California were wired diff. for fan operation. I suspect this because in the CD manual I have shows a list of pins/circiut function for each componet. The list for the PCM mentions "(California Only)" on two pins for fan control. Other than a small mention on one other diagram I can't find any mention of a difference in Cali. cars and the others.

Sorry about being long winded but my questions are this.
-Does anyone know a differnce between cars made for California and the rest of the country?
-And if so. How can you tell if your car is one of them?

Thanks
Wade

Last edited:
Swade said:
-Does anyone know a differnce between cars made for California and the rest of the country?
-And if so. How can you tell if your car is one of them?
My $200 lesson on my wifes toyota van taught me that there is a sticker under the hood (at least for 1998 and up models) that states which laws the emissions standards comply with. Don't know when they started that, but if I'd checked the sticker first, I wouldn't have ordered a fancy $200 oxygen sensor..

Anyone need an Air/Fuel sensor for a 2000 California toyota sienna?

BTW.. if I haven't said this before... I hate OBD-II! :mad:

I'll stick with my 15 year old 200,000 mile cats and EEC-IV which passes the wand test and when it doesn't, can be fixed for less than the cost of the car. :eek:

pretty sure the diagram is for a 94.

But you never know, I still see it as a possibility. Anyone have a diagram that shows the number 13 wire on the ircm as a red wire that splices with the power wires of the mass air, and canister purge and others? All I know is the
wire diagram I have does not match the car and the diagram I have for a 93 also does not match.

Anyone else have any info/ideas?

Back