Cackling Noise from Engine at Idle

hytorksc

This is coming from a supposedly new Ford SC engine, with only 8,000 miles on it, and the noise started when i switched to 15w50 mobil 1 synthetic.

Sounds like a bunch of pool table balls clacking together continuously, or kinda like a big diesel engine at idle.

It only happens at idle, and only after the engine has warmed up. It also is running rough with a bad misfire that rarely goes away.

Am I in trouble? Is this motor about to crap?

I notice sometimes it's louder, and sometimes it's soft, barely noticeable. I do hear a couple of lifters tapping along with it all the time.

What do you think is going on? Do i need to replace the lifters?

thanks-

Could it be the coupler on the blower?

Mine sounds like it has marbles rolling around in it when at idle, but goes away when you accelerate.....

the-big-e said:
Could it be the coupler on the blower?

Mine sounds like it has marbles rolling around in it when at idle, but goes away when you accelerate.....

thanks for responding-
nope, not the coupler, i know what that sounds like- i did the old screwdriver to the ear test. It is definitely coming from the drivers side area (internal engine). kinda wondering if the engine is going to leave me stranded soon.

Any other speculations? Please i need to hear your experiences and what was done about it.

thanks-

Other people's experiences are going to be of minimal help to you. What you need to do is pinpoint the real problem(s) and approach each one in a logical sequence.

The first thing to do is locate the missfire. You should never drive your car with a miss. If you detect a miss, then run a balance test and locate the offending cylinder. Then determine the cause of the missfire and fix it.

Then approach the noise problem. Remove all acc. belts and listen to the motor alone without other distracting noises.

If you think oil is a problem then check real oil pressure. Get a $20 mechanical gauge and check hot idle pressure.

These are basic diagnostic procedures that must be followed in diagnosing engine noises. There are more things to do but these are the basic ones that should be done first.

David

XR7 Dave said:
Other people's experiences are going to be of minimal help to you. What you need to do is pinpoint the real problem(s) and approach each one in a logical sequence.

The first thing to do is locate the missfire. You should never drive your car with a miss. If you detect a miss, then run a balance test and locate the offending cylinder. Then determine the cause of the missfire and fix it.

Then approach the noise problem. Remove all acc. belts and listen to the motor alone without other distracting noises.

If you think oil is a problem then check real oil pressure. Get a $20 mechanical gauge and check hot idle pressure.

These are basic diagnostic procedures that must be followed in diagnosing engine noises. There are more things to do but these are the basic ones that should be done first.

David
thanks Dave, sound advice as usual.

Not sure if this applies to car systems, but with refrigeration systems that I've dealt with if the system is overcharged or not tuned correctly, liquid refrigerant can enter the compressor (bad). When it hits the hot area, it boils off instantly, making a cackling sound. Sounds like when you break open a glow stick. Probably not related to your problem though.

JimmyDean said:
Not sure if this applies to car systems, but with refrigeration systems that I've dealt with if the system is overcharged or not tuned correctly, liquid refrigerant can enter the compressor (bad). When it hits the hot area, it boils off instantly, making a cackling sound. Sounds like when you break open a glow stick. Probably not related to your problem though.
naw, that noise was from the driver's side of the engine. the ac compressor is on the passenger side. thanks anyway.

check for a bad connection at the spark plug.

I recommend getting the cheap set at Autozone ($29.99). Duralast 4141. lifetime warranty, and a very precise sounding "click" when it's installed properly.

Back