Acetone?

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Whats this stuff i keep hearing about adding acetone to your gas? suposedly works only with premium what could be actually gained by this or lost? Wouldn't mind squeezing some more MPG out of the honda or the s/c for that matter if it didn't cause any harm.

Acetone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacob_Royer said:
Whats this stuff i keep hearing about adding acetone to your gas? suposedly works only with premium what could be actually gained by this or lost? Wouldn't mind squeezing some more MPG out of the honda or the s/c for that matter if it didn't cause any harm.
Are you hearing this from Ricers?

If it works at all, why wouldn't it work with lower grades of gas as well? Makes me think that it's a news Ricer Urband Legend.

Doesn't acetone attack soft rubber or plastic? Would need to find out for sure.

You sure it's acetone, & not Xylene? Xylene is already an ingredient in gas, but adding a gallon of it to 5 gal. of 93 octane makes the car run a lot better, smoother. It IS toxic though, so be careful with it.

Years ago I read an article in a gear head mag., about suckin Mineral Spirits fumes into a carb. Suppose to act like like octane booster. The article explained how to make a mineral spirts boiler, & plumb the vapors into the carb. It was a British car mag, so I didn't put much faith in it. WTH do the Brits. know about Muscle Cars anyway?

68COUGAR

here's a couple links to check out. I was thinkin about givin it a go in my chebby beritto GT. If it ruins it... oh well. I only have about $300 in the car anyways and it is ugly as sin inside and out. Runs great though, so I thought it would be a good test subject.

Many people are claiming as much as 30% or more increase in mileage and much lower emmissions. Check it out for yourselves if you're interested. There is plenty of info on how and why it works and being it is such a small amount of acetone (1 to 3 ounces per 10 gallons gas) I doubt seriously it would hurt anything.

One thing to note if you do try it though... some have tried and gave up after only one tank or less and never really gave it a chance. According to everything I have read on it lately you should run a few tanks at the minimum and make sure you are using good quality gas and try to stick with the same filling station for all refills so you can avoid flucuations in mileage caused by other factors. After running several tanks and noticing the gains they recomend switching back to straight pump gas for a few tanks to see the mileage drop back down again just to further prove it to yourself.

Who knows... I would be up for a 25% or 30% increase in fuel mileage.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm
http://www.peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive
Tracy

Last edited:
Buzz Words for the Gullible

From your first link: Acetone operates on the unburned portion of the fuel through better vaporization to improve combustion efficiency.

If there is unburned fuel, it's going out the exhaust valve. How can anything that is going out the exhaust valve, improve combustion efficiency? Does the acetone go back in time & create more power in the (now spent) combustion cycle?

Again from your first link: Acetone further operates like an electron absorber.

Ask a chemistry teacher about how THAT works. I'm sure he'll have a good laugh at your expense. Where's the proof that free electrons are bad in the first place?

The whole article sounds like a bunch of buzz words stung together, for the purpose of impressing gullible people, and Ricers.

68COUGAR

But you have to make sure that it did not skew from the original time line or it might not go back to the original future and then you might have a paradox on your hands......

The good acetone meets up with the bad acetone and all hell breaks loose.....

68COUGAR said:
From your first link: Acetone operates on the unburned portion of the fuel through better vaporization to improves combustion efficiency.

If there is unburned fuel, it's going out the exhaust valve. How can anything that is going out the exhaust valve, improve combustion efficiency? Does the acetone go back in time & create more power in the (now spent) combustion cycle?

Again from your first link: Acetone further operates like an electron absorber.

Ask a chemistry teacher about how THAT works. I'm sure he'll have a good laugh at your expense. Where's the proof that free electrons are bad in the first place?

The whole article sounds like a bunch of buzz words stung together, for the purpose of impressing gullible people, and Ricers.

68COUGAR

I think you should go back and re-read that information as I don't think you read it very well and obviously misunderstood what was stated. Acetone works on what would NORMALLY be unburned fuel by decreasing surface tension and promoting better vaporization and therefor improve combustion efficiency.

Either way... like I said I have a car that I will try it on.. if it works.... great, if not... oh well. I guess you never know till you try. sitting in front of a computer telling people how you THINK it won't work proves nothing. The only real way to know FOR SURE is to try it out, which I plan to do. After I have tried it I will very likely report back and let everyone know what I find. I also have the tendency to think it may be to good to be true, but can't help but wonder if it just MIGHT work. There are many people from many sources that all report the same things after trying it, so what the heck, I'll give it a go.

Tracy

I have a guy here at work I showed the article to. He has a 4X4 truck so he is always looking for a little better gas milage. He bought a bottle of it last night. It cost a little over 2 bucks for enough to doctor 3 tanks of gas. He might be considered gullable by some nay sayers but I look at it this way, who is more gullable someone investing 2 bucks to inprove their gas milage or some one who buys two Power Ball tickets and has the same chance of winning as being struck 10 times by lightning. I have a company car that I put a lot of miles on so I will invest 2 bucks and try it. I would be more scheptical if I was sending in 29.99 to some dude telling me his product will give me 30% better gas milage, but nobodys getting rich selling acetone. I also think to many people love to shoot holes in ideas without ever trying it themselves

Ken

That pretty much sums up my feeling on the subject too. The one saying this will work are not asking for money for the information or selling a kit. And for the cost to try it... why not? Especially if it will extend the life of the engine along with increase fuel economy as stated by some.

Tracy

Back