?Help Please? A/C & Climate Control won't turn off!

Vince_Hayduk

My climate control won't turn off! When the selector is put in the OFF position, I hear the vacuum motor move, but the fan keeps on going. The display does not turn off either. I've also noticed (and a code 539 confirms --> "Operating error during self test. Air Conditioning switched on") that the A/C compressor is always cycling regardless of the position of the selector switch. Any ideas about this or do I need to pull the unit out and start doing surgery on it?

Also, is the radiator cooling fan used on the SC the same as any other more common ford models (like the taurus/sable/windstar 3.8)?

TIA

Vince

possible fix

A/C, unplug the harness going to the A/C compressor beside the DIS module. This way the A/C will not cycle any more and the fan, well, there must be a short in the switch behind your climate control panel somewhere. Remember one thing, there is a sensor on the defrost function that will cycle the AC if the air detected is too humid to be blown into the cab, the AC will dry it first. This sensor could be shorted somewhere causing your AC to continue cycling, as well, this could be why the fan cannot turn off, it could be on the same circuit.

My advice to you, surgery time.

I've already temporarily unplugged the a/c compressor till I get this figured out.

Thanks for the advice about the sensor; I didn't know it actually measured humidity :cool: I figure that the whole thing **should** turn off though if you turn the selector to off, regardless of how humid the air is.

I guess I'll pull the unit out and see what I can find. Any idea what's involved to remove it?

Vince

Back