ABS pump motor Leaking brake fluid

San Diego Scott

Hello fellow SC enthusiasts,

My dash "brake light" has been staying on, and I've discovered that the ABS pump motor is leaking brake fluid out of the seam.

I know that a REBUILT unit can be bought at "Prior Remanufacturing" for $600, but does anyone know of a cheaper way to have mine REBUILT? Any suggestions are appreciated. A Southern California rebuilder would be ideal.

I'm also wondering if a junk yard unit would be a viable alternative. Is this unit trustworthy from a junked car, or would it be difficult to trust the condition of this type of used part?

Thanks,

92 Stock SC > 144,000 mi.
Owned since 18,000 mi.

Thanks Flip, Was there any difficulty removing the entire brake unit or re-installing it?

Flip said:
I rebuilt mine by have a local company rebuild the elec. motor and I replaced the seals and o-rings by matching them up at a local parts shop. Cost me a total of $100 and works great. Also bought a new accumulator from Prior $125?? and check out this tread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59901&page=7&pp=15I
I was going to do this next time already have the parts. Good luck.

LOL, It’s everything else on an SC, very tight work area, hard to reach bolts and skinned up hands… :D But really it’s not that bad, little under the dash work, be careful when disconnecting the brake lines, and do a good job on bleeding the brakes. Mine was in good shape except for the electric motor (which really is a piece of junk). I had to use two to make up a good rebuilt one. Rest of the master cylinder was OK.
Good Luck.

yeah i had to take off my whole abs system to replace the abs pump motor because it is really tight there.... i just took it off as a precaution and not to screw it up... i should have replaced the pressure switch when i had it off... oh well i guess when the pressure switch goes i will have to yank it out againl...

What kind of seal is it thats seals the motor from the pump?

I have the same problem. I am assuming I have to remove the entire ABS unit to fix ths leak right? Once out, is it a difficult job? I have a new accumulator ball on the way to restore my power boost, and hopefully my ABS function. I want to get this leak fixed. Can anyone help?

Before your parts arrive, scope it out.

You pull the master cylinder out of the car. This can be done with the lower I/C tube in, but would be easier with it removed.

You need to first remove the brake lines attached to the master cylinder.
Then get under the dash and remove the pin holding the master cylinder rod to the brake pedal. Take a picture or make note of how the brake light switch and various bushings are setup. Remove the brake light switch and disconnect the master cylinder rod.

Get a wrench under the dash and remove the nuts on the 4 master cylinder bolts.

Get under the hood and pull the master cylinder out, disconnecting electrical connections as you go.

If it looks like it will help, remove the cowl cover (you have to remove the wipers to do that).

Once the master cylinder is out, removal of the pump motor should be obvious.

The pump motor works fine...

I don't think the pump motor needs rebuilding, I can here running when I push the brake pedal. That is the reason why I bought the new accumlator ball.

I do not believe you fully understand the implication of the fluid leaking. That will mean that the fluid has leaked past the internal seal for the pump motor. The motor is running with brake fluid in it. (the leaking fluid is coming from the vent for the pump casing) If it hasn't failed yet, it will soon. The motor will need to be, at a minimum, disassembled and cleaned. Depending on wear it may need other parts. a electrical motor shop would be able to determine what needs to be done.

That is if the fluid is coming from the pump motor. There is a elbow from the reservoir to the the valve body that could also be leaking.

Ok, I didn't realize...

I will make sure to clean out the motor when I have it apart. I appreciate the help. What is it that actually seals the motor from the pump and will fix this leak, an o-ring or gasket or something like that?

The pump body is sealed to the valve body via an o-ring seal. The pump shaft is sealed from the brake fluid via, I assume some sort of shaft seal. I never took the motor apart. I just took it to an electric motor shop and said rebuild it.

The only real issue with rebuilding the motors is that the bottom plate is a crimp on fit. Thus taking it off and on eventually will cause it to fail. Then something like JB weld may be required.

That is cool, but...

I rebuilt mine by have a local company rebuild the elec. motor and I replaced the seals and o-rings by matching them up at a local parts shop. Cost me a total of $100 and works great. Also bought a new accumulator from Prior $125?? and check out this tread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59901&page=7&pp=15I
I was going to do this next time already have the parts. Good luck.

The 93's are a bit different than the 89-92's, ok, alot different. I appreciate the direction though! I need to get an HD O-ring kit from somewhere.

The 93's are a bit different than the 89-92's, ok, alot different. I appreciate the direction though! I need to get an HD O-ring kit from somewhere.

I did this on an 89 that I had; not the 93. Never any problems with the 93.

Back