Overheating problem

JimmyDean

Im not ruling out headgaskets, but of course Id certainly like it to be something else. I replaced my IAC 3 days ago. The problem is, after like 15-20 minutes of driving, the needle is past the M on the gauge. It NEVER used to do this. When I first got it (1 month ago) it would barely approach the N. Just now, I burped it and filled it with some antifreeze and such. Drove it around, it got hot. When I parked and opened the hood, the coolant in the res was bubbling. I dunno if it was boiling, but it caused me to dump a good amount of coolant on the ground.

.....do you smell coolant from the tail pipes any white smoke from the tailpipes?Check the oil for antifreeze and the antifreeze for oil,look under the oil filler cap for a "milky" sludge.....these things plus bubbles in the overflow or any combination are classic hg problems.
Good Luck.
z

Start with the easy stuff...

Check for oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, is the thermostat functioning? Is the radiator cap holding pressure? Does the fan kick on? Does the radiator have good flow? Is there white smoke (steam) coming from the exhaust? Has the engine started running rough?

You may not have blown the gaskets, but if you don't correct the overheating you will....

Hi there
I’m having the same problem. Today the repair shop changed the o-ring for the oil filter. After they ran the car it started to run real hot. Very little white smoke out of the tail pipe. The oil was just changed along with the anit freeze. He pulled the thermostat but the car ran real hot. He noticed that the fan came on late and stayed on a very short time.
He says that the relay that controls the fan is most likely shot.

Back