Found the problem

94T-Brid SC

Well finally found out what was going on with the bird... well first of all I had vacuum lines not hooked up, that is what caused the crazy idle. Then my radiator was leaking coolant and I didn't know it and then was definately not good because it blew my headgasket on a 27,000 mile brand new jasper engine. So..... I am screwed cause it won't be covered under the warrant because of overheating. The problem is though, I never knew the car overheated, the temp gauge never went past half way... thats what is so crazy. Well I learned my lesson, this damn car has caused me more problems that I had with my past 5 cars.

Overheating

94T-Brid SC said:
The problem is though, I never knew the car overheated, the temp gauge never went past half way....
Yep, both times that I blew the HG's, the temp gauge never indicated anything other than normal operating temp. Both times drained the rad. completely, & the overflow tank still had the normal amount of coolant in it.

68COUGAR

Well, that stinks. Sorry to hear about your loss. If it didn't overheat too badly, you should be able to replace the HGs and get a long life out of your engine anyway.

just wondering, did you drive it while the HG were blown, if so did it effect the car very much or at all? and also did the check engine light come on? just wondering b/c my car if you haven't read my post is giving me problems too , and i am trying not to admit it is the hg but if your answers are yes it might be, im not trying to jack the thread or anything just wondering what the "symptoms" were....

thanx
shane

Hey this is Elijah, 94t_bridSc.... I made this new s/n cause somehow my password got unsaved and I forget it. LOL. Anyways to respond to your questions, yes is was driven on the blown HG. No it was a short amount of time driven on maybe like 10-15 mins so it didn't hurt the heads but they are gonna need a little cleaned up. The symptoms of my HG was there was thick white smoke coming out of the exaust. When I pulled my engine oil dipstick there was smoke coming from there... (no clue why). You will find that if your SC has mufflers that bend down toward the ground right behind the back bumper, you should find condensation on the ground, it will be damp (it looks wet) Also it felt like the engine had a slight miss. I was running only 6 lbs of boost, instead of 15-16. Hope this helps... I'm not a HG expert and I'm not saying it is the HG's on your car. Good luck

My 'Bird still ran like a champ when the HG's blew. I was running warm, but nothing too out of the ordinary for the day since it was hot and I was in city traffic. Out on the open interstate, it was running just a lil warm. When I would come to a stop, the idle was erratic and I had the white smoke coming out the exhaust pipes. Once it was confirmed, I quit driving. I only had about 30-40 miles on it. It still started and ran - just idled like crap.

-Melon

Oh and yes the check engine light came on but it would go back off... It was never on the whole time. Also, I just read your post and it kinda sounds about like my car. I did have a lot of smoke coming from the hood.. and it had a faint coolant smell

Back