After rebuild AOD still will not go into overdrive.

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
It has a new case, governor and counter weight along with a heavy duty rebuild kit. It still has the same problem as before the rebuild. It won't go into overdrive after it warms up. The mechanic is an experienced Ford mechanic who works on the newer automatics all the time but has limited experience on these early AOD's. We're thinking valve body now but he's going to take it apart one more time and recheck everything. Anybody got any suggestions while it's apart? We got any AOD experts out there?

Mike I don't know what is wrong with your trans.

But at the 2005 shootout Lentech is giving away discounts
on parts or complete transmissions.

And for $15.00 you can buy a ticket from XR7Dave
for a chance to win a MPIII with plenum.

THANKS RANDY

Last edited:
Was the rebuild done by a 'professional' shop? If not, the most likely reason is the overdrive servo pin was not installed with proper engagement of the o.d. band. Before the rebuild the o.d. band was probably fried. John

The mechanic is a long time friend and Ford dealer mechanic. All he does right now at the dealership is transmissions, just not this old. He's going to pull it again tomorrow and recheck everything so I'll pass along any and all suggestions. Randy, I won't make the shootout this year but I never win the good stuff anyway.

Check the pressures (TV pressure, line pressure, etc.) I had the TV pressure set a little too high on my TCI and it wouldn't shift into OD. It would just wind out forever in 3rd. After I reduced the pressure a little OD came back. These AOD's are a pain to get "dialed in" when they're new. I had to tweak the adjustment (with a gauge) several times to get the shift points right. I have found that setting the TV pressure is not an exact science. You just don't want it set too low....

Yes, Have the TV cable checked first. Also, it would be good to install a kevlar OD band if he rebuilds it again. I had a Ford dealer rebuild one of my AODs with a 12 month warranty and it lost overdrive at 13 months! I'm working on frying my last one before my 5 speed swap. :D

I also have the Kevlar OD band, summit and jegs didn't have them in stock, but TCI will send ya one for about $30 bucks... Those TCI folks seemed like some good ole Mississippi boys to me;)

I find it hard to believe that a professional missed the OD colar, so I'd assume something else??? I would imagine he would have also checked the VB for flatness... Did he do a shift kit or something???

I also don't see why a TV adjustment would be required if it hasn't been previously adjusted? Is that common after a rebuild? I slightly adjusted mine using a guage when I rebuilt my transmission, but I also swapped governors and put in the 4R70W gearset... The other AOD I rebuilt was stock, and I never touched the TV linkage...

I do know that if you nick one of the seals on the rear shaft of the tranny, OD won't work, and then it will loose 3rd in a few days... Don't ask me how I know :eek:

Good luck!

Mike,
Is Ol Otis still messin up cars? You gotta figure this problem out, cuz he's got mine to do once your's is done, and I'm having the same problem with my AOD! He rebuilt my SHOs AXN4 with the TranStar kit and it's Peachy, so what's the deal with the AOD? Let me know what happens.

James E.
AdrenalineTuning@excite.com

Yeah, I just talked to him. He seems to think that the new case I bought has excessive clearance at the rear seal causing it. He's going to tear it down this weekend one more time and recheck everything. He's adjusted the TV cable several times to no avail. I hope East Coast Trans Parts doesn't give me a hassle over it if the case is bad.

Mike Puckett said:
Yeah, I just talked to him. He seems to think that the new case I bought has excessive clearance at the rear seal causing it. He's going to tear it down this weekend one more time and recheck everything. He's adjusted the TV cable several times to no avail. I hope East Coast Trans Parts doesn't give me a hassle over it if the case is bad.

Ouch thats gotta hurt :(

I hate kevlar bands. I get the black (carbon) material ones shipped to me for less than $20. Thats good stuff.
Alan

My experience with kevlar in a band situation is they like to crack I think they just don't handle the flexing motions of a band. The red stuff pretty much sucks but I prefer to use it over a kevlar, raybestos makes a grey/tan material that is supposed to be good but I really like the black stuff. It's really more important to use the 2 inch band than what material you choose.
Alan

Back