Questions about the sc

91ScDrIvEr

Well as you all know this is my second sc......I now have a 91 and looking for some answers. Now you all might laph at me when i ask, but what is a jack shaft? and if i port the headers whats the largest pully i can go with ? and will i have to do the rest of the exhaust or can go with stock for now? How much does a tie rod go for? where can i find a ~~~~~ load of parts for the sc? Is there a web site? I would like to get to know my car in and out....O.....Can i put lowering springs in wile the ride control is hooked up? will it hurt the shocks? can i hook up a revers b&m ratchet shifter and how easy is it to do in the tbird? and last and final thing Ok the timing chain after i do the head gasket i would like to do that to( the timing chain ) can i put the timing gears instead of the chain? and where can i find it if i can? is it the same as the mustang 5.0? i would like the noisy one, they kinda sound like a belt driven blower but loud, you know to add to the blower sound, plus it is a awsome up grade for timing and performance. well thats pretty much it please let me know.

I don't believe that a gear drive exists for the SC.

FYI: most people might have just glossed over the first post because everything is just crammed in one paragraph...hard to read. That many different questions should be spread out over several separate posts.

what is a jack shaft?
it's an intermediate shafts which are driven by another shaft and form part of the drive train between engine or motor
and if i port the headers whats the largest pully i can go with ?
I would go with no overdrive until youve done headers and exhaust or at least a free flowing exhaust, then a 5%OD Jack shaft pulley and 5% OD Supercharger or just a 10% Supercharger

will i have to do the rest of the exhaust or can go with stock for now?
Holy Poo Poo get rid of that piece of junk exhaust at once. Worst part of the SCs and restrictiveness causes engine problems and lack of performance. I recommend Borla

How much does a tie rod go for?
Around 45-90 bucks depending on where you go. Try www.rockauto.com

where can i find a ~~~~~ load of parts for the sc?
Yes there is a website, use these discounters http://www.sccoa.com/discounts/
Super Coupe Performance and Spinning Wheels SC are my favorites. C&C Performance on E-bay are reliable also

Can i put lowering springs in wile the ride control is hooked up?
Yes, you can, though i suggest new shocks anyways, yours are due to start going bad. C&C Performance sells new Tokico Springs and new Illumina 2 shocks combo for around 550 shipped, and you maintain factory ride control

will it hurt the shocks?
No, buy new ones anyways

can i hook up a revers b&m ratchet shifter and how easy is it to do in the tbird?
If youre talking about the auto, then idk, if you mean the ripper shifter for the 5sp, ive heard its easy, and ive heard its a pain in the neck. I would have a shop do my shifter, as i did XR7Dave. I didnt want to mess up my tranny.

can i put the timing gears instead of the chain? and where can i find it if i can? is it the same as the mustang 5.0? i would like the noisy one, they kinda sound like a belt driven blower but loud, you know to add to the blower sound, plus it is a awsome up grade for timing and performance.
IDK about the whole timing gears, our cars have a limited aftermarket, so idk. If you want sound, buy an autorotor or whipple supercharger! :D :D Thatll give you a nice sound!

Hope i could be of some help

I agree with kurt but here we go. First. The jack shaft is a single idler sort that increases the blower speed from the crank. It sits below the AC and has two belts that go to it. It is used so the belts work better, as in it is a stand alone system for the SC.

I cant help you on the ported manifold question. I have headers. Wynn (tbird88) makes a custom set and mine are Kooks. I have heard that 10% is too much for stock.

Tie rods are cheep. I think they are like 40 bucks.

If you are serious about your ride control, I would not lower it more then 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. However, if yours is a 91 like it says, your struts are probably close to gone. Ditch em and step up to a better set. There are a few options for that.

Last but surely not least. I have a gear drive on my 351. It is pretty cool sounding but I dont think I would want it on a SC. The reason being is because of harmonics. You would be fine under 5gs but anytime you start running over that, you will start to get harmonics in the valve train. Maybe not detrimental at first but vibrations take their toll on valve components. Espically when you are talking about thousandths of an inch. It is just not a good idea. Step up to a S blower or bigger and listen to the whirrr of that instead. The reason for a gear drive in the first place is timing. You can put a light on mine and time it at ANY RPM. It wont move and I can show anyone who doubts it. However, there is a tensioner on the SC to keep the slack out of the chain. Do the chain when you do your HGs since it will already be apart and dont forget the hidden allen head bolt under the oil pump.

Chris

Nicely done people that was awsome every thing i needed was answered. hale to the sc gods, i bow to you grovel at you lil piggies (toes), thanks alot you guys answered every thing thanx again.

Quit bowin, stand up stright and git that thing runnin. We need some fast ones on the road. C'mon...siwtch over to one of the other sites and get some shocks...then turn off the computer and git er done.

Chris

Back