Friend may be buying a 95 SC... some tips pls!

patrick5678

So my friend is buying his first car. He is usually a GM guy and was looking for a late 90s GTP or older SSEi. I found a MINT 95 SC and we went and looked at it. Its in real good shape... interior is MINT and the outside is %100 rust free, underbody is perfect and it was sealed in the doors jams so even under the inner door panel is perfect. the black paint is fairly new so it looks great too! Anyway its an Automatic (4R70W right?) and the tranny was rebuilt at 150,000 KM and it got head work/new gaskets at 130,000 KM. Its got 175,000 KM on it now. The few things that are wrong with it now are being fixed by the owner lik the Brake rotors are not true, upper and lower ball joints are worn and there is an exhaust leak at the converter but he will do it all. We test drove it for a long drive on the 401 for like a half hour. but he never really gave her so I will test it before we buy it (1-2s at WOT and downshifts are something I just have to do before buying one of these trannies!) I kept my eye on the gauges and the temp was fine and it seemed to make full boost even when he was just on it a whee bit. the vac moved up and down in a pulse when cruising 100 KPH at 2K RPM... is that normal?
Also under the hood all seemed good to me... I checked the fluids and they are all good. but the main pully on the engine like the big one on the crank looked like it was woobling? Is that normal?? or was I just on crack?? also it ran good but didn't idle %100 smooth either. infact when we put it in drive we where turned and so it was almost cranked all the way to the left and it started to chug forward and almost stalled for a second. that coulda just been cause the steering was cranked tho right?

Anyway, I just wanted to know what else I should look for? Everything electronic works, windows, locks, keyless entry, seats, traction control, ride control, and the leater interior is good too!

He wants 7500 for it but he will negotiate he said. after he does the ball joints and breaks I'm gonna test drive it and I'm gonna drive it a little hard to test the acceleration and the trans. Then I think we are gonna offer 6900 and he will take it.

Sound like a good price? I think it is. I don't see many of these 94./95 SCs around and its in good shape as far as I can tell.

JKae

Smell the trans fluid and make sure it is a nice red color and doesn't smell burnt. No assurance that he didn't just change though. Check the crankshaft dampener bolt (the big one in the middle). The dampener may be on it's way out.

when i first got mine it would bog a bit when the steering was cranked one way or the other, or if i had to start out on an uphill slope...actually stalled once. Might want to ask if the motor mounts have been done. Also i noticed it would shudder a bit in the steering wheel from park to reverse. The easy way to tell is to put the car in drive with the foot firmly on the brake and spike the gas and watch the motor, if it seems to jump up it would be blown mounts.

So, has the value of SCs gone up that much since I bought my 94 5-speed in 2004? My car is what I would rate an 8.5 or a 9 out of 10, with an aftermarket Alpine system. I paid $4300 and the 5-speeds are much more rare that the automatics.

Back