Valve Cover Repair

tbirdfan1993

Can some lay out what I need to do in order to replace the valve cover gasket? I mean step by step. I am not too mechanical, but I wanna learn. So step by step if you have them some pics, and if you're close, maybe a little help. Thanks! 89SC

Sorry, I meant drivers side vs the passenger side. If you only need to replace one or the other, it will be a different procedure. Which side needs replacing? Do you have a leak?
Tom

Just so you know, you might only need to tighen the bolts. The factory gasket is rubber, not cork, and tighening the bolts could quite possibly stop the leak. My passenger side was leaking when I purchased my car 2 years ago. I tighened mine and it hasn't leaked since, and that has been over 20k ago.

Michael

Tightening

From what I can tell it's the psg side... To be safe, should I tighten them both? And if so, can you guys tell me how to do that?

Get a flex shaft with an 8mm socket and you're set. You need a deep socket or tiny wrench for the 2 front lower studs. Oh, and not too tight. Snug plus a bit is good enough.

TbirdSCFan said:
Get a flex shaft with an 8mm socket and you're set. You need a deep socket or tiny wrench for the 2 front lower studs. Oh, and not too tight. Snug plus a bit is good enough.

Oh yeah..... they definately break easy, I've done it :p

If you have a leak coming from one of the gaskets, you can try tightening the bolts first to see if that stops it. The valve covers are definetly buried under a bunch of stuff. From my best recollection, it would make it easier to get to the bolts on the drivers side if you remove the SC top and upper IC tube, but it's still a PITA to get to all of the bolts with the plug wires, and lower IC tube in the way. To take OFF the drivers side valve cover, you need to remove the lower IC tube as well which means you are now going in a lot deeper.
For the passenger side valve cover I would think you could get to the bolts easier just by removing the intake tube. To remove it, you may have to take off the TB, too but I dont know for sure.
Mind you that I havent been under the hood in a while and there may be more or less that you need to do, but I'm sure someone else with more experience could better explain.
Tom

For the passenger side I had to remove the intake tube and throttle body. But it all depends on the tools you have. With the right extensions, swivel sockets, lights, and hands you might be able to not remove the throttle body.

On second thought

I don't think I can do that. I'm afraid I might break something. How much would this cost to get tightened at a shop?

In your first post you said that you werent too mechanical, but you wanted to learn. The first job I did on my SC was replacing the drivers side valve cover and the water pump. What a great feeling it was to do too! :) I think you should give it a shot and try to tighten the bolts up. You really wont have to do anything too technical, and you really don't want anyone elses hands on your SC. I'm willing to bet that even with your being "not too mechanicaly inclined" your still the better man for the job!
I would research the valve cover removal process in a shop manual or even a Chiltons or Haynes, and then take it from there. Let us know if you still want help.
Tom

Appreciative

Thanks a lot. I'll start this weekend, and keep you guys posted. I gotta try. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Back