V8 swap questions

speedfreak

I have just aquired a low mileage 5.0 motor. The motor has Edelbrock Performer RPM head, E303 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, and a Trick Flow intake (wich I won't use). Anyway, I bought this motor for $700. I am seriously thinking of putting it my 89 SC 5 speed, but I would like to go with a carbed setup. Has anyone here done this before (swapped to carbed V8). I already know what needs to be done with the fuel system, flywheel, starter, exhaust, etc. I'm just kinda curious about things like getting the gauges to work, can I use the PS pump off a mustang, or will the stock radiator keep up with the V8, or any other surprises I might encounter?
I figure that with a decent dual plane intake and a properly sized carb, this motor should make close to 300 rwhp....maybe.

..........by the way, I'm not abandoning the 3.8SC, I still have my 90 that will stay with the 3.8.

you can do the swap easily, and you may even be able to use the m5r2. i wouldnt see why not since ive used AOD's from 302 crown vics and such for my SC tbirds in the past. you also will be able to use your PS pump, just get a car 302 bracket setup. your alt oughtta work also, youll be suprised all the stuff you can use and im not sure about inlet/outlet placement on a SC rad from a 302 rad, but if you get rid of the IC, you can stick a full length 302 rad in there no problem. i must say i have a 302 HO tbird and the rad is super skinny and to buy i big one you have to get an expensive alum. one, so the SC rad will do the job im sure since its a thicker core. i have many 302 t bird parts available
email moparneal440@yahoo.com if you need any more help
2132415_1_full.jpg

This is something im mulling over myself. My father in law has a 89 or 90 Lincoln LSC with 5.0 HO that runs and drives great, but the car has seen better days with the air bag suspension and other such things. He doesnt drive it anymore and I could probably buy the car cheap and swap the engine into my bird. I do love the SC engines, but the 5.0 would be cheaper and have that grumble I love.
The V6 N/A radiator looks the same as the V8 radiators. At least there isnt a difference that I could measure. I would bet that the SC rad would keep up just fine with a good running 302.
I would keep the Fuel injection if I did mine, so I couldnt help with the guage questions.

You guys do understand, that in stock form the 5.0 is a step down in power from the 3.8 supercharged motor. But with the right power adder and other go fast parts it can be made to produce much more power than the 3.8.

David

Its just an option im thinking of if my 6 doesnt get running right. I know im not building a race car so the few lost ponies wouldnt kill me. Loosing the premium gas wouldnt either :)

i must agree that the SC 3.8 is torquey and more fun to drive on the low end. it has torque down low and thats awesome. but i tried for 2 years and countloess different headers, h pipes, x pipes, resonators, flowmasters, etc, to try to make the 3.8 sound like a v8, and it never worked. the 5.0 does have a nice noise to it, especially with a little cam, headers, etc. i miss my blower whine, but i like the high rpm pull that the 302 has. it is also substantially easier to work on. without all the IC crap in the way, hell its a breeze. and parts? they are EVERYWHERE for a 302. underdrives, gear drives, cams, intake, heads. you ever see a magnum powers inlet plenum or a maganported blower at the swap meet? me either. im having a blast with the car so far. here are some pics of the old rides, and the new ride
396761_4_full.jpg

1970 440 fury, 1996 4.6 bird. 1990 SC t bird w/ 95 motor, currently in pucketts posession.
396761_47_full.jpg

the black 96 is a 4.6 car, sold it, it wasnt as fun as the blue car. the 4.6 sucks in comparison to the 302

396761_22_full.jpg

picture of the red car with the wing (it was on there when i got it) i pulled the wing and it was later stolen :( ricers im sure

2132415_2_full.jpg

the 5.0 in the beater

2132415_3_full.jpg

and the beater itself

yes, I do realize that a stock 5.0 would be a step down in power. But the motor I plan on using is not stock. If I didn't get such a good deal on the motor, I wouldn't have ever thought about doing this. I want to go carbed with this project, because (plain and simple) I can tune it. If later I was to add a centrifical supercharger, like a Vortech kit made for carbed small block, I think I would have a real fun street car. If hood clearance is an issue, I will just buy the cobra R hood that I have been wanting, but can't bring myself to spend the money on. The 3.8SC motor is very torquey off the line and I realize that this 5.0 my lack in that department a little bit. If the car was an automatic, I would put 4.10s in it to compensate, but with the 5speed having such a low first gear the 4.10s may be a little ridiculous.

........you know, I worked on a 91 mustang a couple weeks ago. It had stock shortblock, victor heads, performer RPM intake, throttle body, MAF, injectors, cam, rockers, tremec,3.73s, exhaust, a powerdyne....etc.........it wasn't until I drove that car around town a little bit that I realized how much I miss controlling the beautiful sounds that a built small block ford sings out.
If I wouldn't have replaced those head gaskets for the guy,.....this thread wouldn't even exhist. :confused:

speedfreak said:
yes, I do realize that a stock 5.0 would be a step down in power. But the motor I plan on using is not stock. If I didn't get such a good deal on the motor, I wouldn't have ever thought about doing this. I want to go carbed with this project, because (plain and simple) I can tune it. If later I was to add a centrifical supercharger, like a Vortech kit made for carbed small block, I think I would have a real fun street car. If hood clearance is an issue, I will just buy the cobra R hood that I have been wanting, but can't bring myself to spend the money on. The 3.8SC motor is very torquey off the line and I realize that this 5.0 my lack in that department a little bit. If the car was an automatic, I would put 4.10s in it to compensate, but with the 5speed having such a low first gear the 4.10s may be a little ridiculous.

........you know, I worked on a 91 mustang a couple weeks ago. It had stock shortblock, victor heads, performer RPM intake, throttle body, MAF, injectors, cam, rockers, tremec,3.73s, exhaust, a powerdyne....etc.........it wasn't until I drove that car around town a little bit that I realized how much I miss controlling the beautiful sounds that a built small block ford sings out.
If I wouldn't have replaced those head gaskets for the guy,.....this thread wouldn't even exhist. :confused:

I know what you mean, I'm currently in the final stages of converting my 93 SC from a supercharged v6 to a turbocharged v8. It's running and streetable, but still needs work in the tuning department.

David

David Neibert said:
I know what you mean, I'm currently in the final stages of converting my 93 SC from a supercharged v6 to a turbocharged v8. It's running and streetable, but still needs work in the tuning department.

David

I know, that's a pretty extreme machine your building. It would be great to see some video of the car when its done- thing must sound like a Pro 5.0

A lot of guys over on the corral insist that if you build that 302 up to its max potential NA you can get close to 400rwhp with it. Now I also looked down that path that you are walking but I quickly jumped ship. I realized that for what I wanted out of my car the production 302 block would not handle it. Now I have climbed aboard the 460ci big block band wagon and baught another SC to put it in and I plan to do everything with it that I had planned for the small block. It should make for some interesting times for sure. Good luck with your project!

Shane

Back