need help, losing power

SCTIM

ok here is the situation....i am having a problem with my sc auto...the car will idle slightly rough, right around 800rpm....when you press the gas pedal hard the tach goes up to around 2500-3000 rpms and then completely bogs down until you pull you foot off the pedal...but if you slowly press the pedal, you can run it all the way to 4000 rpms and then some, and hold it there and have not problem..there was a invoice from a garage that did a tune up(plugs,wires,air filter,fuel filter)back in oct 04, and on that paper it said that a back pressure test was done, and the car need new y pipe, and cats... well i changed that over the weekend and still same thing, i even ran the car for a few seconds with no exhaust hooked up and same thing...if anyone has some ideas, and can help me please let me know....

oh the car isn't throwing any check engine light..

SCTIM said:
ok here is the situation....i am having a problem with my sc auto...the car will idle slightly rough, right around 800rpm....when you press the gas pedal hard the tach goes up to around 2500-3000 rpms and then completely bogs down until you pull you foot off the pedal...but if you slowly press the pedal, you can run it all the way to 4000 rpms and then some, and hold it there and have not problem..there was a invoice from a garage that did a tune up(plugs,wires,air filter,fuel filter)back in oct 04, and on that paper it said that a back pressure test was done, and the car need new y pipe, and cats... well i changed that over the weekend and still same thing, i even ran the car for a few seconds with no exhaust hooked up and same thing...if anyone has some ideas, and can help me please let me know....

oh the car isn't throwing any check engine light..
check fuel pressure then timing. has this problem been around since the tune up? or has it just started?

problem

this has been a problem with the car since the previous owner had the tune up done on it..

I had a similar problem and it was that my DIS module had dielectric grease on it instead of heat sink compound.

I'm sure you never messed with it or anything I'm just sayin it sounds familiar and thats what happened to me.

im thinking harmonic balancer or fuel pump , if cats were clogged it may have overheated the plugs an ruined them

Last edited:
fuel pressure?

thats the next step, but i gotta get my hands on a fuel pressure guage...i am not thinkin the balancer though, its running pretty true(no wobble)...

mine was true as a new one it just revved real slow i could tell it was late on timing thanks to these guys on the forums i would have never thought of it twisting sure enough it was broken and twisted enough to run like junk , after about a week it wouldnt even go uphill , i took the bolt out of the harmonic balancer which seemed tight and i believe the balancer fell off , then you have to drill the pieces out from inside the timing chain cover

Last edited:
i had a dirty maf sensor once that acted that way. you would go up the road and get into second or third about 3000 rpm it would just die . let off and it would idle , it was dirty mass air flow i sprayed it with gumout and it was fixed

Last edited:
Back