PDA

View Full Version : Manual trans. problem

XR7inWI
10-03-2005, 05:20 AM
My 5 speed has been getting harder to shift into gear lately. Since I got the car it has been this way but up til just lately it was only a once in a while thing. When trying to shift from neutral to any gear (forward or reverse) when at a complete stop it is nearly impossible.

If I try to force it or try to bang the shifter into gear I can hear and feal the whole trans clunk but I still can't slide into gear. Finally after working it around trying all gears I can usually get it to grind and slip into a gear (usually 3rd or rev.). After that, most of the time I can then shift to 1st and be on my way. Yesterday I ended up having to get the car to roll a bit in 3rd, then pull it out of 3rd and shift into 1st in order to get going. If the car is rolling it will go into gear without much problem at all (feels a bit clunky, but goes into gear).

It USED TO grind going into 3rd all the time, but I solved that by draining out the fluid (looked to me like it was ATF in there... pretty red) and replacing with syncromesh. After the fluid change and a week or so of normal driving the grinding is completely gone unless I try to slam from 2nd to 3rd in a hurry, then it will grind a small amount.

I was told by one person that it could be my master or slave cylinder going bad and I should try pumping the clutch pedal when it is hard to get into gear and see if that helps.... it doesn't. :( Master cylinder is full of fluid.

Any ideas what may be causing this? If I need a rebuild I will get it but I would hate to take it in and find out later I didn't need to. I know that 3rd gear at least needs new syncros and will likely do all syncros sometime before too long, but was hoping a complete rebuild was not quite neccesary right away.

So what do you guys think? Master cylinder, slave cylinder, or something else? And if I need a complete rebuild, what should I expect to pay (besides parts, I will probably order them myself and take them with the trans to be rebuilt)?

Tracy

XR7 Dave
10-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Sounds like 2nd and 3rd syncros's are about dead. Until you get it fixed, avoid anything which causes grinding at all costs. Grinding damages parts that will not be replaced in a rebuild.

You definitely have a problem with clutch engagement and/or pilot bearing. Pull the tranny, rebuild, replace pilot bearing, rear main seal and T/O bearing/slave assembly. Take a good look at the clutch but you may very well want to replace it as well. When you have the flywheel surfaced, let them know that you want to know exactly how much they remove from the flywheel because you want shims of the same thickness.

XR7inWI
10-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanx Dave. As far as the grinding goes I have definately been avoiding all grinding as much as possible. I have been avoiding parking where I have to back out again when ready to leave that way I can shift down to 1st while rolling and leave it 1st when I get stopped and shut off the car. That way it is in gear when I am ready to go again. Kind of a pain in the back side but if that's what it takes I guess that's what I'll have to do for now.

I have noticed that it is a whole lot worse after driving a while. I am thinking when the trans oil gets hot and thins out is when the problems get worse. Anyways, I will plan on a complete rebuild and hope the gears themselves are not trashed.

Anyone have and M5R2 rebuilt lately? What should I be expecting for labor cost? Any tips when looking for a good rebuilder, questions I may want to ask them or anything?

Tracy

35thauto
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
My 89 is in the shop now for the same thing , when I get it back & they explain the fix to me I can post it here ...& the $$$ :rolleyes:

XR7 Dave
10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I do the rebuilds, email me for price. Most shops won't do a rebuild using your parts. I think a typical shop price including parts is about $800.

badtoyz
10-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Before you start any thing check your shifter and make sure it's tight on the transmission. I bought a 89 5 speed car that way and took out the consel removed the shifter boot carfully and there it was one bolt holding the shifter. And fixed it in the guys driveway and drove it home. I bet he was a little P*** off after I left Because he sold it very cheap. Best of luck!

XR7inWI
10-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Hadn't thought of that but I will definately go check that out.

Tracy

XR7inWI
10-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Before you start any thing check your shifter and make sure it's tight on the transmission. I bought a 89 5 speed car that way and took out the consel removed the shifter boot carfully and there it was one bolt holding the shifter. And fixed it in the guys driveway and drove it home. I bet he was a little P*** off after I left Because he sold it very cheap. Best of luck!

Well, I checked it out and the shifter is definately bolted down tight. HOWEVER, when I went to check this out I found a surprise.... Apparently a previous owner installed the B&M shifter :D I had always wondered why everyone said they really liked the B&M and how the shorter throw was so great... My oppinion was that it was not needed. I guess that's cuz I already had the shorter throw shifter and didn't even realize it.

My 89 is in the shop now for the same thing , when I get it back & they explain the fix to me I can post it here ...& the $$$ :rolleyes:

Any word on this yet? Get the car back from the shop?

Tracy

35thauto
10-06-2005, 02:37 AM
ha ha haaa well yes....just got it today wed. that is all the syncros were replaced with brass ones. no damage noted & the clutch was in mint cond. so no replacement there. all told $895 Cha-Ching!!!! runs & drives!! no more hard fist fight wreslting match to shift. I think I came out of my seat a few times jaming that thing through the gears , sure did sound expensive.... :)

see you at the meet!!!

XR7inWI
10-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Did that price include removal and reinstall of the trans? Did you just take in the trans. or the whole car and let them do the whole works?

Tracy

35thauto
10-07-2005, 12:30 AM
that was drive in & drive out. turn-key. ;)

XR7inWI
10-07-2005, 01:02 AM
I talked to several shops today and finally found one with a price I REALLY liked. Should have thought of this guy to begin with. Had him build an auto trans for me about 10 years ago and he did a slammin job. As for the rebuild of the M5R2 in the XR7 he said $75.00 for labor plus parts. When I asked how much to remove and re-install he said that would put labor up to $100.00.

Considering the other places I talked to wanted an average of $300.00 for remove and re-install and $200 rebuild labor I think I found my rebuilder. I know this guy and have known him for years.... he does tranny rebuilds as a side line and is not really in the transmission rebuild business. He never has been into rebuilding trannys to make a living... just has the tools and know-how to get it done. I am pretty sure the price he quoted me was a "friendly" discount as my brother and I have known this guy for many years and sent him quite a few customers.

So ..... Here's to getting a 5 speed rebuild for $100.00 labor plus parts :D :D :D :D :D

Tracy

35thauto
10-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I had a time limit to deal with so I had to do it this way. good to have a contact for your rebuild. you going to the meet?

XR7inWI
10-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Nope, Won't be at the Shootout. I would truely love to be there but do to circumstances beyond my control, I cannot make it. I thought about flying down for the weekend but can't even get away that long. :( Hopefully there will be a shootout next year and I WILL make that. I already informed my wife and boss that next years shootout I WILL be going. But as for this year... just can't make.... no matter how much I want to.