Confused about calipers..... Help?

darkstar_one

Hey i am trying to get my calipers replaced at autozone... but first i am making the check list... which one is it... its for a 1993 SC... i am doing the spindle conversion... thanks....

is it the one with the SPORTS PERFORMANCE PACKAGE or without it...

i am putting stock rotors and stuff just to get it run right... thanks

Attachments

• confused.JPG
    confused.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 78
What size rotors are you using? The sport package was for the M8 size rotors and without is the same as stock SC rotors. The M8 (I'm pretty sure that the sport is the same as the M8) caliper is larger as well. Also the caliper brackets are different.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have the swap done before the shootout, but I have got all the parts to get it done. I'm swapping up the the M8 brakes in addition to the '93+ spindle.

That package should only be listed for 96 and 97 model years, on T-Birds and Cougars. It applies to the 4.6 cars with the Sport package.

cheers
Ed N.

actually LX and SC front brakes are all the same size rotor and same caliper. Only difference would be that some LX's came with drums on the rear.

93 - 95 MN-12 front brakes are all the same, be it a T-Bird LX, SC, or Cougar, V6 or V8. 96 - 97 4.6 T-Bird and Cougar with Sport package had the same brakes as the Mark VIII ... other 96 - 97 MN-12 front brakes were the same as 93 - 95.

cheers
Ed N.

Be carefull with Autozone, there parts lists are not always accurate. The sports package came on later T/birds, like 96/97 and was a copy of the Mark 8 brakes (front). The rotors are larger than SC stock, like 11.57" versus the stock 10.86". So you'll need the '93 spindles (for pre '93 SC's), new calipers, new caliper brackets, larger rotors, different brake pads and hardware. Personally I prefer using the '00 Mustang GT (PBR) twin piston calipers with our stock rotors. I did both conversions on my '93 and much prefer the PBR's (easier job too). However, if you want to proceed with the Mark8 then take a look at my old article under the "SC Literature" tab on this forum - there is a 'how to' on the Mark 8 conversion.
Hope that helps.

thanks jim.... i have already got the right calipers... i am trying to get this thing to work before i spend anymore money on it... i am installing some mark viii spindles and i am hoping this will cure my extreme steering wheel vibration under hard braking... you can hear the driver side caliper rattle when u step on the brake pedal over 45mph..... you just hear a loud clunk clunk clunk and the steering wheel vibrates hard.... rotor doesnt seem warped... but oh well... thanks..

That doesn't sound good at all - have you checked the upper & lower control arm ball joints for wear. I can't believe that could be brakes unless the caliper pins are partially siezed. Anyway, if you go forward with the Mark8 brakes I believe Ford is the only source for the caliper brakets. Everything else should be available at AutoZone/Advanced or PepBoys - I found some really good deals on rotors at Advanced (house brand called Wearever).

yeah there is a complete mark viii at the junkyard... i think it still has the caliper brackets but i rather wait until i can do the cobra 13 inch brake swap... and i am converting to the mustang bolt pattern.... now that you mention the control arms... the upper ones are worn beyond belief.... they look so bad and so old... but i am replacing them along with the spindle conversion.... anything else?

You've confused the hell outta me. What exactly are you trying to do here ? Do you have 13" Cobra brakes to install (which are PBR twin piston by the way) or Mark8 brakes (single piston) to install. Noting that as soon as you go to 13" rotors you'll need atleast 17" wheels (stock SC size is 16" - which will acommodate the Mark8's 12.57" rotors but not 13").

no u have confused urself.... i am just trying to do the late model spindle conversion and i just needed the correct calipers... standard calipers thats it... i said later on i am going to do the 13 inch cobra upgrade instead of going with the mark 8 11's.... thanks....

fast Ed said:
93 - 95 MN-12 front brakes are all the same, be it a T-Bird LX, SC, or Cougar, V6 or V8. 96 - 97 4.6 T-Bird and Cougar with Sport package had the same brakes as the Mark VIII ... other 96 - 97 MN-12 front brakes were the same as 93 - 95.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed you are correct, I keep forgetting about the change in the front on the cars for the 89-92 years.

Back