PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using softer springs?

S_Mazza
10-03-2005, 01:10 PM
My SC has about 95k miles now, and I'm thinking new shocks may be in order soon. I like the ARC shocks. However, I think the ride is a little too harsh as it is.

Has anyone run the ARC adjustable shocks with a softer spring (like from a V8 car)? How did it work for you?

Thanks,

XxSlowpokexX
10-03-2005, 02:11 PM
A stock SC rides anything but Harsh. I'd look elsewhere for your problem

S_Mazza
10-03-2005, 06:33 PM
I must disagree with you there. My SC's ride is pretty harsh, and has always been so. My 89 LX was like a creampuff compared to my 90 SC. My brother's 93 LX 5.0 also rides much better.

I have also seen the same opinion about the SC stated in other automotive publications, and by users of this website.

Also, bear in mind that I drive about 100 miles a day, some of it through construction zones. Thank you for the suggestion about checking the suspension out - you have a point that minor things can add up to a rougher ride.

Anyway, I am not trying to insult the car - I still like it a lot. I'm just seeking information.

trife86
10-03-2005, 07:04 PM
yea the SC i guess you can say rides alot more firm than standard t-birds and fords in general, but its not so harsh that i dont like it, id rather go with the harsh ride its alot more stable over bumpy roads and higher speeds than floating suspensions

sizemoremk
10-04-2005, 02:12 AM
I don't know that I've ever ridden in a N/A bird, but I do remmeber my first 90 SC I had in 95, and I remember it riding ALOT smoother than the one I purchased in 2000. The first one had like 30K miles on it, and was alot newer...

The one I got in 2000 had over 100K miles, and things like motor mounts and lots of suspension bushings needed replacing...

Mine rides alot better than it did after I fixed the problems, but I remember my firs one riding almost as nice a caddy... I think the deteriorating ride is mainly due to age....

I still think its a nice ride, alot better than some other cars I've ridden in...

burge
10-04-2005, 02:18 AM
my 95 sc is stock and rides like a brick :cool:

Shockwave
10-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Worn shocks make a car ride harsh. SC springs need a good firm shock to control wheel movement. If you have good stock shocks the car rides like a lincoln.

Jerry

sizemoremk
10-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Worn shocks make a car ride harsh. SC springs need a good firm shock to control wheel movement. If you have good stock shocks the car rides like a lincoln.

Jerry
As much as I thoguht the ride in my first newer tbird was nice, it was NO MATCH for my Lincoln Towncar ;)

Too bad I had to get rid of it, it was the TC or the 35th, so the choice was obvious...

Shockwave
10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Well when my nephew bought his 90 SC with 68,000 miles it rode like a log wagon. My 89 SC with 92,000 had a very nice ride and still does. His shocks were shot and new stock ARC ford shocks fixed that. My 89 has Motorcraft replacement ARC shocks and I think may be valved like Tokico Illumina IIs. Illumina IIs and Eibachs are a great combination for a smooth unharsh ride if you plan on lowering the car.

The stiffer the spring the stiffer the shock needs to be. I had a 90 Cougar LS and yes it rides great, but these cars are heavy and LX springs take a lot of the sport out of the T-Bird.

Jerry

Joisey Jim
10-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I lowered my car 1" with Eibachs and new Tokico 11's and I HATE the ride. I wish I had left it stock. I have to run around town with the 'firm ride' on, otherwise I bottom out my high-flow cats, Flowmaster resonator or Kenny Brown engine brace bars. I even avoid shopping centers with speed bumps now!!!!

S_Mazza
10-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Ouch, scrapes hurt ... I definitely don't want to lower the car. As it is, I have to creep in and out of my driveway because there is a gutter there. If I do get new shocks, I may try the V8 car springs with the ARC shocks. I'm not sure. I wouldn't say my car rides too bad as it is, but I wonder what the result would be. It's not like I have a whole lot to lose - I could just put the SC springs back on if the handling suffers too much.

sizemoremk
10-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I know several years ago bilstiens (sp?) was a highly regarded shock for our SCs...

I haven't seen them mentioned in awhile, so I wonder if they are still availble for our car???

Maybe you should take a peak into those...

ThunderTurkey
10-05-2005, 02:24 AM
I lowered my car 1" with Eibachs and new Tokico 11's and I HATE the ride. I wish I had left it stock. I have to run around town with the 'firm ride' on, otherwise I bottom out my high-flow cats, Flowmaster resonator or Kenny Brown engine brace bars. I even avoid shopping centers with speed bumps now!!!!
:cool: ~"Another thing to consider is Tire Size! I just put a set of Firestone P235R70x16 on the rear of my '93LX. The tire diameter is a whopping 29inches! With a REALLY 'floaty' ride. Too floaty!! I'll remedy that with some heavy-duty swaybars, then ENJOY the 28-30 mpg it gets!! Oh, and I can just about crawl OVER those parking lot spacers!" :D

S_Mazza
10-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I think Bilstein discontinued our shocks. But I have heard good things about them. You can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty!