Anyone using softer springs?

S_Mazza

My SC has about 95k miles now, and I'm thinking new shocks may be in order soon. I like the ARC shocks. However, I think the ride is a little too harsh as it is.

Has anyone run the ARC adjustable shocks with a softer spring (like from a V8 car)? How did it work for you?

Thanks,

I must disagree with you there. My SC's ride is pretty harsh, and has always been so. My 89 LX was like a creampuff compared to my 90 SC. My brother's 93 LX 5.0 also rides much better.

I have also seen the same opinion about the SC stated in other automotive publications, and by users of this website.

Also, bear in mind that I drive about 100 miles a day, some of it through construction zones. Thank you for the suggestion about checking the suspension out - you have a point that minor things can add up to a rougher ride.

Anyway, I am not trying to insult the car - I still like it a lot. I'm just seeking information.

yea the SC i guess you can say rides alot more firm than standard t-birds and fords in general, but its not so harsh that i dont like it, id rather go with the harsh ride its alot more stable over bumpy roads and higher speeds than floating suspensions

I don't know that I've ever ridden in a N/A bird, but I do remmeber my first 90 SC I had in 95, and I remember it riding ALOT smoother than the one I purchased in 2000. The first one had like 30K miles on it, and was alot newer...

The one I got in 2000 had over 100K miles, and things like motor mounts and lots of suspension bushings needed replacing...

Mine rides alot better than it did after I fixed the problems, but I remember my firs one riding almost as nice a caddy... I think the deteriorating ride is mainly due to age....

I still think its a nice ride, alot better than some other cars I've ridden in...

Worn shocks make a car ride harsh. SC springs need a good firm shock to control wheel movement. If you have good stock shocks the car rides like a lincoln.

Jerry

Shockwave said:
Worn shocks make a car ride harsh. SC springs need a good firm shock to control wheel movement. If you have good stock shocks the car rides like a lincoln.

Jerry
As much as I thoguht the ride in my first newer tbird was nice, it was NO MATCH for my Lincoln Towncar ;)

Too bad I had to get rid of it, it was the TC or the 35th, so the choice was obvious...

Well when my nephew bought his 90 SC with 68,000 miles it rode like a log wagon. My 89 SC with 92,000 had a very nice ride and still does. His shocks were shot and new stock ARC ford shocks fixed that. My 89 has Motorcraft replacement ARC shocks and I think may be valved like Tokico Illumina IIs. Illumina IIs and Eibachs are a great combination for a smooth unharsh ride if you plan on lowering the car.

The stiffer the spring the stiffer the shock needs to be. I had a 90 Cougar LS and yes it rides great, but these cars are heavy and LX springs take a lot of the sport out of the T-Bird.

Jerry

I lowered my car 1" with Eibachs and new Tokico 11's and I HATE the ride. I wish I had left it stock. I have to run around town with the 'firm ride' on, otherwise I bottom out my high-flow cats, Flowmaster resonator or Kenny Brown engine brace bars. I even avoid shopping centers with speed bumps now!!!!

Ouch, scrapes hurt ... I definitely don't want to lower the car. As it is, I have to creep in and out of my driveway because there is a gutter there. If I do get new shocks, I may try the V8 car springs with the ARC shocks. I'm not sure. I wouldn't say my car rides too bad as it is, but I wonder what the result would be. It's not like I have a whole lot to lose - I could just put the SC springs back on if the handling suffers too much.

I know several years ago bilstiens (sp?) was a highly regarded shock for our SCs...

I haven't seen them mentioned in awhile, so I wonder if they are still availble for our car???

Maybe you should take a peak into those...

Joisey Jim said:
I lowered my car 1" with Eibachs and new Tokico 11's and I HATE the ride. I wish I had left it stock. I have to run around town with the 'firm ride' on, otherwise I bottom out my high-flow cats, Flowmaster resonator or Kenny Brown engine brace bars. I even avoid shopping centers with speed bumps now!!!!
:cool: ~"Another thing to consider is Tire Size! I just put a set of Firestone P235R70x16 on the rear of my '93LX. The tire diameter is a whopping 29inches! With a REALLY 'floaty' ride. Too floaty!! I'll remedy that with some heavy-duty swaybars, then ENJOY the 28-30 mpg it gets!! Oh, and I can just about crawl OVER those parking lot spacers!" :D

I think Bilstein discontinued our shocks. But I have heard good things about them. You can't go wrong with a lifetime warranty!

Back