jasper engines

dakotaflstf

Need some input from people out there that have replaced engines with re-built Jasper's. Is this a good way to go?

I have two suggestions

1) Ford reman long block. They can be had for under $2000 for a complete long block. That beat's jasper's $2600 price for a bare longblock.

2) Find a used 4.2 short block, put your heads on it. I had some friends over, and we discussed the 4.2 in depth. Pete is running 320RWHP on his 99 Mustang V6 with just a paxton blower. He has managed a 12.6 Quater mile run on that. Stock heads, stock intake, light mods. People have told me that they won't hold up in a SC, but Tom Morana and many others have done it without any problem. So If I did it all over again, I would go that route.

Brian

I get alot of feedback from people doing major engine work and engine replacements on high mileage SCs/XR7s. Anytime someone mentions that they have a Jasper SC engine it usually is not the first one that was installed. They seem to be improperly building the SC engines as it is quite typical for a Jasper SC engine to fair quickly after installation. People state that they are currently running their second or third Jasper SC engine.

This is a shame as this company appears to be rebuilding other engines properly and is respected in the market place. For some reason, the SC engines from Jasper should be avoided in my opinion.

I'm sure there may be several people who will read this and state, "My Jasper SC engine is great" and think I'm full of beans. Well, I've personally heard from too many other owners who state otherwise. This is just my recomendation, but I agree with the previous response and suggest a Ford reman. or I really recommend you just rebuild your existing engine yourself or have a local shop perform this task.

Ditto what Bill said. And I am living proof that a FORGED crank is not strong enough for a furious 4.2 . Mine failed after 8500 miles.

After talking to Jasper and being invited to go down and inspect their plant, I was very impressed. Yes, they build to specs, but go beyond it also, like graphite head gaskets and chrome plated valves. Also, they will do anything you want for a performance package. Plus, they don't have cores for the SC engines, so they will pick mine up, rebuild it to the specs I want and deliver it (car keeps the numbers matching). Plus, I don't know anyone else that will put a 3 year, 75,000 mile warranty on their engines, plus a total replacement even if it is your fault for the engine failing. And yes, they will pay the labor for replacement if it is their fault. I know they are a little more expensive, but the warranty makes it worth it.
A local engine rebuilder admitted that he doesn't feel comfortable re-building these engines as they do take special knowledge, and if you don't live close enough to the guys that do have the experience and knowledge (Dr. Fred), then I may have to give the guys a chance that have done it for 60 years. Again, the warranty speaks for itself. If anyone has a Jasper re-build, I would like to hear your take on it.

fred, was your old 4.2 crank from the 99-newer trucks or did you offset grind an SC crank?

Jasper just seemed a little pricey to me. For about $1000 more than the ford reman block, you get a long block with less parts. Sure you get an additional year's warranty, but at a 33% cost diffrence. Plus I don't think chrome plated valves or graphite head gaskets are worth any performance gains or long term durability. Ford now has a headgasket that is far superior to what everyone else is using. I don't know if they use the updated gaskets in their reman long blocks or not though.

here is where I bought mine from:

Parts Director - Dan Newman
Five Star Ford
Toll Free (800) 866-1520
7100 E. McDowell Rd.
Telephone (480) 946-3900 ext. 230
Scottsdale, Arizona 85257
Email parts@fivestarford.com

I don't think that SCCoA members get a discount, so if not tell him you came from MTCforum.com and he'll take care of you.

Brian

www.mtcforum.com

that's what I was wondering. We talked about offset grinding and welding a SC crank, but I was really concerned about strength. Clearly you have proved that it's not a good alternative.

Even though the ford 4.2 crank is not forged, I have wondered for a long time if it would be stronger than a ground SC crank. Tom Morana swears by his 4.2 kits, and they also use the ford crank.

Sorry to get off topic, I was just curious about that :)

Back