Drive Gears.

ricardoa1

Can anyone explain the bennefits of a Drive Gear, other then make extra noise and being more durable. Is there an increase in HP. Do they make it for our cars?
I never really discussed this before.

Re: Gear Drive

ricardoa1 said:
Can anyone explain the bennefits of a Drive Gear, other then make extra noise and being more durable. Is there an increase in HP. Do they make it for our cars?
A Gear Drive provides more accurate timing between the Crank & Cam. Any engine with a timing chain, will have some slop in the chain. If there is no give in the chain, it's to tight. That slop will let the cam timing vary sligfhtly as the crank turns.

HP gain? The only gain might come from not having the chain moving around.

It is measureable, but is it significant? I don't think it is enough to worry about. On a Full Race ONLY motor, a Gear Drive might be benificial. On the street a good Double Roller Timing Chain is More than adequate!

68COUGAR

Last edited:
68COUGAR said:
A Gear Drive provides more accurate timing between the Crank & Cam. Any engine with a timing chain, will have some slop in the chain. If there is no give in the chain, it's to tight. That slop will let the cam timing vary sligfhtly as the crank turns.

HP gain? The only gain might come from not having the chain moving around.

It is measureable, but is it significant? I don't think it is enough to worry about. On a Full Race ONLY motor, a Gear Drive might be benificial. On the street a good Double Roller Timing Chain is More than adequate!

68COUGAR

Gear drives will not work on an engine with a knock sensor.

because they rattle, and if you are sportin' a mullet you might go for the "non quiet/silent" gears, so everyone can hear your stock 305 84 Maro' rollin the down the street with glass packs and 14" Cragars on back with air shocks for the raked look to match your rear window louvers :cool:

AsScLoWn said:
because they rattle, and if you are sportin' a mullet you might go for the "non quiet/silent" gears, so everyone can hear your stock 305 84 Maro' rollin the down the street with glass packs and 14" Cragars on back with air shocks for the raked look to match your rear window louvers :cool:

LOL.... Nope... I gave up the mullet years ago. :D Besides, a "noisey" gear drive is supposed to sound like a supercharger, so I would think adding one to a supercharged engine that already has the whine would sound rather stupid... or stupidER. Besides... after checkin around, I can't find ANYONE that offers gear drives for our cars... so I would tend to agree that they cannot be used.

Tracy

Back