someone explain this please!

speedfreak

OK.....this might sound stupid, but here it goes anyway. My car makes 14lbs of boost. I have a custom blower outlet and I use a piece of blue silicone turbo hose to connect it with the stock "supercharged" tube. Both the blower outlet and the "supercharged" tube have quarter inch weld all the way around them to help prevent the silicone hose from sliding off, and I am using T-bolt clamps. You know what..........it still blows off every once and a while...............Now, If I were to go out in my garage and try to use my blowgun with only 14psi in my air compressor there wouldn't be enough force to blow a darn maple leaf off the hood of my car. Why is there such a big difference if both are 14psi.

With all do respect, that doesn't sound right to me. If that were the case 14psi in a 5 gallon air compressor would be greater that 14psi in a 30 gallon compresser. I just don't get it.

14 PSI - pounds per square inch. a 3" dia. tube has an area of about 7" at 14 psi is 100 lbs of seperation force. 14 PSI in an air hose at 1/4" dia. would be less than a pound of force. Thats if I remember physics class from 40 years ago. Catch you later, Bob.

bloodybobber said:
14 PSI - pounds per square inch. a 3" dia. tube has an area of about 7" at 14 psi is 100 lbs of seperation force. 14 PSI in an air hose at 1/4" dia. would be less than a pound of force. Thats if I remember physics class from 40 years ago. Catch you later, Bob.

ohhhh.......ok.........i see now :confused:
I guess I shouldn't ask questions that I won't understand the answer, but thanks for trying to clear that up for me

ok....now that I thought about it more, I guess that does make sense.........It would be like drilling a pinhole in an oxygen tank or knocking the nozzle off with a hammer. One way would make a leak, the other would make a missle. Am I thinking correctly now?

Looking at it from another angle, assuming that a fire hose and a garden hose have the same water pressure, which would you prefer to stand in front of?

speedfreak said:
OK.....this might sound stupid, but here it goes anyway. My car makes 14lbs of boost. I have a custom blower outlet and I use a piece of blue silicone turbo hose to connect it with the stock "supercharged" tube. Both the blower outlet and the "supercharged" tube have quarter inch weld all the way around them to help prevent the silicone hose from sliding off, and I am using T-bolt clamps. You know what..........it still blows off every once and a while...............Now, If I were to go out in my garage and try to use my blowgun with only 14psi in my air compressor there wouldn't be enough force to blow a darn maple leaf off the hood of my car. Why is there such a big difference if both are 14psi.

You do realize that the location you note for your silicone hose is not always under pressure son't you? Is that silicone connecting hose rated for both pressure and vacumn? Not all hose is since it is actually "harder" to make a hose not collapse rather than not expand. It could be collapsing partially when you close the throttle and contributing to the hose working itself free from the clamps.

Duffy Floyd said:
You do realize that the location you note for your silicone hose is not always under pressure son't you? Is that silicone connecting hose rated for both pressure and vacumn? Not all hose is since it is actually "harder" to make a hose not collapse rather than not expand. It could be collapsing partially when you close the throttle and contributing to the hose working itself free from the clamps.

I think that you are dead on with that. If you watch the hose when you first start the car, you can see it suck in a little bit between the clamps. I got the hose through my work (trucking company), and now have been told that the diesel motors that the hose is designed for do not have the vaccum of a gasoline engine, so that would explain it.
My brother owns a company that specializes in water blasting, vac trucks, water boring, etc., he pretty much explained it to me like this........If somebody dumped a gallon of water on your head, it would pizz you off. If somebody dumped a 55 gallon drum of water on your head, it would knock you on your butt. The water is hitting you with the same pressure either way, there is just a much greater volume with the 55 gallon drum.
.................ok, now I see what a stupid question I was asking you all, just common sense. :p

Back