Headlights Flash on and off

Obliv

I havent had my Thunderbird SC (90') for too long, and I dont know much about electrical systems in cars. So when I was driving down the road and my headlights started turning on and off, I didnt even know where to start haha. Any info would be gladly appreciated :)

(My father says it is probably the switch in the dash...If this is the case, any ideas on how to get ahold of one? Thanks in advance.)

higher wattage bulbs were used or if they are stock your headlight switch is bad, try turning off your fog lights if they start to flash

Obliv said:
I havent had my Thunderbird SC (90') for too long, and I dont know much about electrical systems in cars. So when I was driving down the road and my headlights started turning on and off, I didnt even know where to start haha. Any info would be gladly appreciated :)

(My father says it is probably the switch in the dash...If this is the case, any ideas on how to get ahold of one? Thanks in advance.)

It most likely is the switch in the dash - Ford routed all the light power through the switch - both the headlights and the foglights. It burns out the switch after time. Ford dealers have the switch, usually in stock. Not too expensive, if I remember. When you take it out, be aware that there's a button on the bottom of the switch which releases the pull.

I managed to just pull the plastic cover off and now mine is just epoxied on. Doesn't look as good.

The main problem is getting the dash cover off. If anyone has any secrets, hopefully they'll share them.

(BTW, running the foglights makes the problem worse)

Check with your Ford dealer first, as there was a recall on the headlight switch. I got mine replaced for free on my '93. If that doesn't cure it, most likely the high voltage has burnt some wires to your multi-purpose switch (that's the indicator/flasher stalk). Don't automatically replace that stalk as they are around $90 - check the wiring going to the switch first incase you can splice in some new sections. Finally you can revise the fog/driving light circuit (see previous threads & TCCOA articles) to make them independant of the headlights. However I think the best move is to buy the Competition Lighting harness (about $50, even cheaper on Jeggs I believe) and rewire the headlamps to be powered via relays. It's an easy 30 minute job and then you have complete freedom on what bulbs or wattage you want to install.

Safety recall

Mine was covered under safety recall 99S30.
This recall was issued in 1999. Perhaps a Ford garage would still honor it? :confused:

Thanks!

Thank you all for the feedback. Im glad I now have some insight, as it is quite scary driving in the dark without headlights half the time heh.

Joisey Jim said:
Check with your Ford dealer first, as there was a recall on the headlight switch. I got mine replaced for free on my '93.

The exact same thing happened on my 93, and my 90. Dealer took care of my 93 and I did the 90.

Back