Run the sc w/o t-stat??

blownsc

I think my t-stat might be stuck shut. I'll take it out and stick it in some boiling water to see if it opens, but in the mean time, can I run the sc w/o it? I realize it flows coolant when it gets to a certain temp, mine's 180. But what if it always flowed coolant?? The car wouldn't warm up as fast correct? But it's summer time and I seem to have no problem getting it to overheat (I think cuz the t-stat is busted). What am I not thinking of?
Thanks,
Kyle

I think that running with no t-stat can creat hot spots in the engine from the turbulence of the excess water flow, but I'm definately not an expert.

Why not just put another one in while you have it apart, for less than $10 why pull it apart more than once.

Aaron

I wouldn't do it for long.. The EEC is looking for an operating range of temperatures. If it runs too cool, it'll do things to the fuel mixture, timing, etc.

Thermostats are cheap; I'd put a new one in if in doubt.

You need the thermostat to help in the cooling effect of the radiator. If the thermostat was missing or stuck open. The coolant would not cool down enough as it went thru the radiator. Then you would have an overheating problem. Your fan should be on when the t-stat opens.

Use a 195 degree t-stat if you are running stock with no adjustable fan switches or EEC tuner. This will keep your cooling timed with the fans.

Back