PDA

View Full Version : Broken Balancer to crank bolt

tganley
10-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Ok folks,
I've read a load of posts on this subject, many contradictory.
Let me first say, I'm an old guy....the car has 200k and owes me nothing. It's in extremely good shape, and with this mileage, it rarely sees over 3500rpm.
It started benignly enough. A slight vibration at all speeds. This lasted two days...until the banging started. I thought I threw a rod...until the idiot lights
came on. It turns out I sheared the pulley off the balancer. (it was actually still dangling by one bolt).
Against popular opinion, I brought the balancer to my buddys machine shop,
and on a miller, relocated, drilled, and heli-coiled all the pulley bolt holes.
Then, reusing the balancer, and (again, against popular opinion) re-used the balancer bolt. Sure enough, last night, a vibration started, and not long after, in the driveway mind you, I found the end of the crank bolt and washer. Looks like the bolt just stressed by the break. I was just able to easy-out the end, and have the new Ford bolt....and am weighing to shell out the $370 for a new Ford balancer. My question: Did the bolt go due to stress, or did the balancer somehow cause it. (the balancer was still tight as Hell on the crank, and there was no other damage....it actually seemed to run smoother after the machine work! ...........and don't even talk to me about the BHG. I got 200k out of the FOMOCO part. Any expertise?????
THX
Tom

BARTHWY59
10-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you answered all you own questions... i bot one new ford balancer and it lasted 2000 miles... bot 3 BHJ and still going after 10,000 plus a piece. It's your $$$$

XR7inWI
10-05-2005, 08:45 PM
This is still something I just don't understand. Why is it that a stock, factory installed Ford balancer will last 150,000 or 200,000 or more miles but so many peolpe say they have had stock replacements from Ford crap out after a couple thousand miles??? :confused: :confused: :confused: Are some people doin something wrong when installing the Ford balancer?

Just makes no sense to me at all. However, I will most likely follow the general advice myself and go with the BHJ when I get ready to swap it out, just to be safe. I generally trust the majority here, but just cannot figure out why people have failing HB's after such a short time when the original lasted so long. :confused:

Tracy

rlong
10-05-2005, 09:23 PM
my original lasted around 210 k miles and broke the bolt and fell off , then i couldnt find new from ford so i bought a used one with around 10k miles on it , it only lasted about 6 months maybe 5k miles, it twisted and had no wobbles just no power i could tell it was late on timing it revved real slow and after about a week it wouldnt even go uphill , then i bought a bhj it fit tight but i didnt have to hone it ,its been fine for about 15k miles now . the ford ones are weak to begin with because of the aluminum center , and once you take them off i think they stretch

XR7inWI
10-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I can definately understand having problems with a USED balancer, but a new one SHOULD last as long as the original if installed correctly, right?

Tracy

David Neibert
10-06-2005, 12:44 PM
This is still something I just don't understand. Why is it that a stock, factory installed Ford balancer will last 150,000 or 200,000 or more miles but so many peolpe say they have had stock replacements from Ford crap out after a couple thousand miles??? :confused: :confused: :confused: Are some people doin something wrong when installing the Ford balancer?

Just makes no sense to me at all. However, I will most likely follow the general advice myself and go with the BHJ when I get ready to swap it out, just to be safe. I generally trust the majority here, but just cannot figure out why people have failing HB's after such a short time when the original lasted so long. :confused:

Tracy

Tracy,

I think it may be beause of the original balance pins not being reinstalled into the replacement balancer. Some cars don't have any pins and some have several. I'll bet the failures of new balancers were on ones that had several pins. Even though the SC crank is supposed to be internally balanced it was necessary for some motors to have balance pins added to get them within specs.

The best way to fix the balancer problem is get a BHJ balancer and a zero balance aluminum crank pulley. The cost of a new Ford balancer isn't much cheaper than you can buy a BHJ unit for. On top of that, I think Ford has stopped making the balancers, so you may not have a choice.

David

XR7inWI
10-06-2005, 01:00 PM
David,

Thank you, THAT makes sense. Like I said, I will be buying the BHJ when I get ready to swap mine (hopefully before the original fails) because I don't want to risk having a replacement fail just because I tried to save a few $$$.

Tracy