A Question Concerning Radiator Fan Settings

Ira R.

I understand that the radiator fan is set to come on at a certain temperature. I also understand that it can be controlled using the EEC or a chip in order to change those settings, and that there is also an override that kicks it on when you turn on the A/C.

In looking through the historical posts on this subject though, people talk about the fan turning off when the car is driven, I believe at high speeds. First off, is that true? Secondly, can I get more details on how that works, and, finally, is this a setting that can be changed or controlled?

I am not referring here to the low or high speed settings, but specifically to whether or not the fan actually turns off, and when.

Thanks.

Ira

OK, here it is right out of the Ford manual. Low speed fan activates at 222* and turns off at 214*, high speed activates at 230* and turns off at 224*. The low/high speed fan activates at any time the temps reach the stated specs. The low speed fan also activates when the a/c is on and the veh speed is under 43 mph. The fan turns off when the speed reaches 48 mph. John

Yup, the fan definately goes off at about 48 mph. I leave my defroster turned on low/cool all the time and the temp guage stays at or below the N of [NORM]. when I reach about 50mph I can watch the temp guage raise up into the N and sometimes the O. With the defroster left off at low speeds the guage goes up around the high side of the O in [NORM].

Cooler weather is here now so I will not worry much about it, but by the time it heats up again next spring/summer I plan to have the 180° thermostat and chip installed (along with a few other goodies to make the chip really worthwhile). :D

Tracy

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I was looking for! I have a high speed only fan that comes on at 188°. Now I just have to figure out what temp it shuts off at and I'll be all set.

Ira

188 degrees seems very low to me - the stock t/stat isn't fully open until 197 deg. You may also have emission test problems. I've been monitoring mine with the stock low speed running all the time in the summer (by cutting the IRCM wire #14) and it maintains between 200 & 210 deg depending upon the traffic and outside temp.

Joisey Jim said:
188 degrees seems very low to me - the stock t/stat isn't fully open until 197 deg. You may also have emission test problems. I've been monitoring mine with the stock low speed running all the time in the summer (by cutting the IRCM wire #14) and it maintains between 200 & 210 deg depending upon the traffic and outside temp.

Yes, you're right, I'm sorry. I only made half a sentence there. :eek: I had some serious heat issues this summer, so I have been experimenting a bit. First, radiator fan is one (high) speed only and I currenty have a 160 t/stat and yes, the fan is set to come on at 188°. Haven't had much chance to use the car since this change, but she seems to run between 185° and 210° around town for the most part, with or without the A/C on.

I also installed a new pusher fan and was trying to get cute with the wiring so I would have control of, and knowledge of, when the fans were running. To that end, I needed to confirm at what speed they turn off at. Now I know.

Unfortunately, I was unable to hook the pusher fan into the puller fan so they would run at the same time, but if the puller fan alone can keep the temps below 210° with the A/C on around town I would be happy. I have also installed a switch that essentially runs them both when turned on, but haven't had time yet to see what effect that might have.

Of course, it's also only 80 degrees out now. Not the 90 plus that caused all this aggravation in the first place. And emissions?? Yea well, I have't tried to cross that bridge yet, but I know it's out there!!

Ira

Damn, did it again. Did I forget to mention that I have a FMIC blocking the radiator??

Ira

160 degree

The 160 degree stat could he hurting more than helping the situation. Unless the Chip or tuner is set for the computer to go into closed loop at a temp close to thermostat opening.

I suggest that you check on those parameters and then fool with fan speeds. The stock PCM does shut fan function off at 45 mph UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS!!

The EEC tuner or chip will allow the fan to come on if the temps reach the specified temp in the program.

I will give you a call Ira and go over it more in depth.

Dave could also give a little more info in better detail with his knowledge. (SC GURU!!!!)

Don

lube70 said:
The 160 degree stat could he hurting more than helping the situation. Unless the Chip or tuner is set for the computer to go into closed loop at a temp close to thermostat opening.

I suggest that you check on those parameters and then fool with fan speeds. The stock PCM does shut fan function off at 45 mph UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS!!

The EEC tuner or chip will allow the fan to come on if the temps reach the specified temp in the program.

I will give you a call Ira and go over it more in depth.

Dave could also give a little more info in better detail with his knowledge. (SC GURU!!!!)
Don

I confirmed that the puller fan comes on at 188°. That's what the chip was set to and you can hear it come on as well. I cannot tell if it shuts off at 45mph or so because the LED I tried to hook up telling when the fan is on keeps blowing fuses.

I know I may have to get away from the 160° t/stat, but that's what I had laying around so I used it. The car ran so hot this summer I really needed to revisit the entire cooling, fans, and air flow setup. Closed loop? Explain that to me, please.

This was step one. I may take it all apart again this week end if I have a chance and try to rewire the fans again.

Ira

I need to know where to buy the main control unit ( by the air box) part number e9sf12b577ab my guy has changed the senor, relay, jumped the fan. this is the only part left.
ponyboy@optonline.net
cell after 5 pm nyc time
516-473-9008

Closed loop...

Closed loop is when the EEC-IV system uses the sensors to calibrate the fuel/air mixture. When the coolant temps are too low, the engine management keeps the car in OPEN LOOP. This means it runs off PRE-DETERMINED settings to run fuel and air.

This site WWW.FORDFUELINJECTION.COM will help you better understand the system.

I will call you today.

(973) 277-4294

Don

lube70 said:
Closed loop is when the EEC-IV system uses the sensors to calibrate the fuel/air mixture. When the coolant temps are too low, the engine management keeps the car in OPEN LOOP. This means it runs off PRE-DETERMINED settings to run fuel and air.

This site WWW.FORDFUELINJECTION.COM will help you better understand the system.

I will call you today.

(973) 277-4294

Don

Now THIS is importnt to know! Thanks Don. I will check with the guy who tuned my chip next week and see how this may effect any of that.

And don't bother calling today. I having oral surgery this afternoon and suspect I will not be in a talking mood for a while. :p

I will call you this weekend when the pain goes away.

Ira

Back