17psi + Stock Heads = Missing Coolant

Rich Thomson

900 miles on the engine running 17psi with stock heads and head bolts. I have already checked for coolant leaks. No signs of any. Since installing the Aircon short AC condensor and the front mount IC I have been unable to keep the coolant temp down below 230+ on a 70 degree day with the AC running. Car still runs without any other signs of a leaking HG. I have already replaced (added) 1/2 gallon of water in the overflow tank. So I have decided I am changing the OD pulley back under 15psi again. I will be pulling off the front mount IC and redesigning/replacing it so I can get better air flow to the AC condensor and radiator this fall. New heads and ARP studs will be on my list too. :mad:

Rich

Rich,
Had the same problem with my 93 last year. Ran great but would eat coolant, long story short had the heads pressure checked, checked out first time but, second time around under a little higher pressure they found two micro cracks under the intake valve seats that would only leak coolant under boost. Did a sniff test before tear down and it failed. SC ran great the whole time. Never had any other signs except the coolant loss.

Last edited:
Thanks, Flip. The Reman heads were suspect from the beginning. One of the heads had been tig welded to fix a broken pedistal mount tab.

DSC00034.JPG

Wonderful. You just described something that I just noticed happening in BOTH my cars.......

Ira

I have noticed that my over flow goes down about 1 inch every month or so. I do not see anything leaking. My HG's are new but I have had a bad detonation problem that has been cured. I am wondering if my heads or gaskets are leaking. I have not noticed any coolant in the oil so I hope I am ok.

ha thats nothing.... i add coolant about once a week... beats the hell out of me whats causing it... but i had my head gaskets replaced... i think its my water pump and the thermostat housing that are probably leaking steam... or something like that... things would run alot cooler without the thermostat... but i dont know... i just dont know anymore... i dont have smoke or anything... it runs like a champ... but i think i need to replace my waterpump and my thermostat housing....

Mine loses coolant too. I need a new thermostat gasket, but it's not leaking enough to account for the coolant I'm missing. Very odd. Car also runs great.

I know if you still use a stock radiator the coolant level will drop. More in the summer than the winter. The coolant will seep out the rubber gasket that connects the core to the top and bottom tank and evaporates before showing any signs. You have to keep topping off the overflow level every couple months. I have an aluminum griffin and do not see any leaks. I changed the pulley and am down to 13 psi.

Rich

darkstar_one said:
things would run alot cooler without the thermostat...

Don't count on it. The thermostat is need to slow down or regulate the flow through the radiator. With no thermostat the coolant will flow through the radiator so fast it will not have time to cool and the radiator will quickly become heat soaked.

Tracy

I'm loosing coolant too. I think the fact that I have bubbles in the overflow tank might have something to do with it. Anyone know where I can get a test done to the coolant to see if the HG's are gone. I just replaced the damn things this spring.

JasonMiller94SC said:
I'm loosing coolant too. I think the fact that I have bubbles in the overflow tank might have something to do with it. Anyone know where I can get a test done to the coolant to see if the HG's are gone. I just replaced the damn things this spring.

You can buy a sniff kit (Block testing kit) at NAPA for around 50 bucks and do it yourself, very easy to do and you can do it several times. Also, most any garage will be able to perform the test also for around the $30 area. You basically have to take you rad. cap off and with the coolant level a little low and run the car until it get’s warm and put the tester on top of the rad. opening and let it take in a little of the vapor. It will change color if you have exhaust gas in the coolant. Which would be from HG, cracked head, etc…

They also make a pressure tester for the cooling system. Goes on the radiator like the cap and then you pump it up to create pressure in the system. Just another way to find leaks or problems.

Back