No Odometer

Quik95SC

SCCoA Member
Here what's going on. The Speedo/Odometer in my 95 wasn't working properly. The Speeometer would work just fine, just no increase in mileage on the odometer. I thought it might be the gauge, so I changed it out with a known good working one, but same problem, speed OK, but no odometer.

What else could cause this even thought I replaced the gauge cluster and same results? Not sure about where the signal comes from our how to test for it for the odometer.

Smitty

This is a VERY common problem with MN12's. I repair these for a small fee, click link in signature for more detail.

What happens, is the small gear that operates the odometer heats up and causes it to crack. After it cracks, it is only a matter of time before it completely breaks and become inoperable.

-Kornhaus

hellakornhaus said:
This is a VERY common problem with MN12's. I repair these for a small fee, click link in signature for more detail.

What happens, is the small gear that operates the odometer heats up and causes it to crack. After it cracks, it is only a matter of time before it completely breaks and become inoperable.

-Kornhaus
That sounds great, but I replaced the entire instrument cluster with a known good working one and still have the same problem. So i don't think it id the gearing in the speedo gauge unit.

See article on Gear replacement. If your Odometer is not working but the speedo is then you have a bad set of odometer gears. Also the small circuit board plugged into the cluster controls the gauges.

Odometer Gears

Quik95SC said:
That sounds great, but I replaced the entire instrument cluster with a known good working one and still have the same problem. So i don't think it id the gearing in the speedo gauge unit.

Dude, trust me! I have fixed several clusters, and I would say that 90% of the time, regardless of the age of the cluster, the small 20 tooth gear is defective.

If your speedo (mph) works, and your mileage/odometer doesn't, I am willing to bet you that the gear is defective.

Let me know if you want me to repair your cluster.

-Kornhaus

Rich, yeah that makes sence and all but he just stated that he put another cluster in the car that is a known working one and it still does not work. I dont know what the problem could be but I would be looking into the wiring if I were you Quik95SC.

Shane

Maybe during installation, he bumped it too hard. Thus, causing the gear to slip or break.

Just a wild thought!

-Kornhaus

hellakornhaus said:
Maybe during installation, he bumped it too hard. Thus, causing the gear to slip or break.

Just a wild thought!

-Kornhaus

I cant see that happening. I have beat them around before and it will still work.

Shane

Back