PDA

View Full Version : Radio Died :(

Randle
10-06-2005, 12:51 PM
My radio has been acting up. First the radio wouldn't play, but the head unit would power up. Then just as suddenly as the radio went out the head unit dies. Its as if it gets no power, I checked the radio fuse under the dash, but that checked out OK. I also tried a brand new Alpine unit & I get the same results, no power. Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

quick35th
10-06-2005, 01:09 PM
I would check your radio wiring harnes for any frayed wires causing a possible ground or short. Good luck!

Shane

ve3lt
10-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Holy COW!!!
The exact same thing happened to me this past week!
My toggle switch acted up and occasionally I could get the radio to fire up and play. Then one day - no clock- no radio nothing...
I went to the wreckers and got another radio and plugged it in and still nothing?
I even got a newer one from a different car with the same wiring and still nothing? I too checked the fuse and had power to the yellow with the black stripe wire with a K/O load. Still no clock or radio though

I have a service manual and I have been tracing wires for two days now, one by one, and it is tedious to say the least! I wonder if the boom box in the trunk has anything to do with it? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Still trying to find the problem............

Micahdogg
10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Pop the cover off your power distribution box under the hood. Look for the 5 amp memory fuse to see if it popped.

Micah

Randle
10-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Still no go. I checked for any frayed or shorted cables & couldn't find any. I also checked the 5 amp fuse under the hood & that still looked AOK. I think I may take it to a stereo shop & see what they say. I really dont want to pay somebody though, this isn't a hi end sound system or anything.

Redtallman
10-07-2005, 05:09 PM
do u have a stock cd player and the tape deck up top?????

quick35th
10-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Randle, Hey bud if you would like some help with your problem pm me and maybe I can make it out to your place this weekend to take a look at it.

Shane

TbirdSCFan
10-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Check out this thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66759&highlight=paul+protos) :cool:

Randle
10-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Redtallman, I still have the stock units, but both are out atm. I also have an aftermarket Alpine unit that I plan on putting in there.

I went out & bought 2 new fuses (just in case) & I'll replace those tomorrow morning before work, see if that works. I also bought a better harness (the best buy one sucked). I'll try a more intensive diagnostic tomorrow, get to the root of this issue.

Shane, if all else fails, I may need some help. Thanks for the offer :)

Redtallman
10-08-2005, 03:27 PM
:D check leads for power then check fuse for power use a light circuit tester to see where they may be power also if cigarette lighter is on same fuse check to see if it work that way u can narrow down the problem and no im not selling radios i was asking because i read some where that the tape deck and cd players work as one in those cars meaning you cant take out the cd payer at the bottom and just use the tape deck with out a jumper wires

just check this out http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28027 :cool:

z90sc
10-08-2005, 10:55 PM
My radio has been acting up. First the radio wouldn't play, but the head unit would power up. Then just as suddenly as the radio went out the head unit dies. Its as if it gets no power, I checked the radio fuse under the dash, but that checked out OK. I also tried a brand new Alpine unit & I get the same results, no power. Any ideas, suggestions, or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
...if you still have the stock JBL system what usually happens is that the CD player goes out and the radio won't play...you'll have radio power but no sound.The radio is wired to the amp through the CD player.

ve3lt
10-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Pop the cover off your power distribution box under the hood. Look for the 5 amp memory fuse to see if it popped.

Micah

Thanks...it was the five amp fuse. I put a new one in and the radio and clock came back. However when I plug the CD in the radio dies? I will check the wiring to the CD with a meter tomorrow....